Poisonous plants

naturepatty

Exploring the pasture
Joined
Aug 21, 2022
Messages
7
Reaction score
8
Points
21
I just read online that tomato and lilac plants are poisonous for goats!?!? My goats have consumed alot of these plants. I don't even know what to look for now... Do I need to take them to a vet... Please help
 

Baymule

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 22, 2010
Messages
32,733
Reaction score
96,798
Points
873
Location
East Texas
Your goats will be fine. My sheep eat them too. A lot of plants on the poison list would take a LOT to kill an animal. Plus you have to know what particular part is poisonous. I’ve seen apples on the poison list! Apples???? It’s because the seeds in the core have tiny amounts of cyanide in them.
 

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Joined
Sep 4, 2015
Messages
9,062
Reaction score
28,310
Points
728
Location
S coastal VA
Most often it is a "volume" issue....like apple seeds. They'd have to eat a truckload! My goats will test tomato leaves...few bites and on to better taste.

The nightshade plant can be very toxic!! Most animals won't eat beyond a bite. But some will and that plant can cause extreme illness, even death. While tomatoes, eggplant, etc are in the botanical family, not as strongly toxic.

Amount eaten, animal size and their digestive system all play a part in this. For instance, goats can vomit, horses cannot.
 

farmerjan

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
10,017
Reaction score
37,866
Points
748
Location
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
It also depends on the animals needs. Are they "hungry?" as in, not enough hay or other forage? Animals will often eat anything if they are not getting enough and that can cause over consumption of things that normally would not amount to any concern.
If they are well fed, then their sampling most things are not a big deal.

Different forms are also sometimes more or less poisonous. Wild cherry leaves are not a problem if they are consumed fresh/green. If a tree comes down in a storm, the leaves can be very toxic in small amounts if they are wilted. And of course, if a tree comes down in a storm, " nosy nellies" all have to go eat and be right there being just in the way... Once they are dry they have no real effect in any way.

Many times the wilted stage of certain "poisonous plants", are the most toxic time also.
 
Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 22, 2010
Messages
32,733
Reaction score
96,798
Points
873
Location
East Texas
Add wilted peach leaves. My sheep stripped the lower green leaves with no ill effect. I’ve even seen them eat the leaves of black nightshade BUT not the berries which are the most toxic.
 
Top