Poka_Doodle's journal

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, it appears that I am very good at forgetting to post here, but here is another attempt.
Apologies for no pictures of it, but a little over a week ago, I got to take the lambs out to our first show of the year. A 4-H committee that I am on put on a jackpot, so we loaded the trailer, and brought the flock. Our original plan was to show three, and leave Lightning alone. But when we got there, we did end up getting him shorn and shown. I was actually really glad we did that, it gave us the chance to hear what somebody else thought of him. What was said was stuff I did not disagree with, he has very fluffy legs, but could use some more muscle (with a lamb that does not get exercise, I am not surprised). I will say that in general we did not place as well as I thought we could have, but I do know that usually at the two week mark with a lamb, they are only barely halter broke, so to have Flame out there after only having him for two weeks, is something I am super happy about.
In other news, meat chickens are coming this week, the barn is about to be full, and I am very excited. It does mean a lot of work and stress (if it is anything like last year), but I am ready. That purple banner hanging in the barn is a reminder of what is possible, so now it's time to put the work in, because a friend for the banner would be cool.
The lambs have had a lot of cute moments from the past couple weeks, so here are a few of them.
0AC61887-652D-415C-B31C-32F040D54DDA.jpeg

Buffet Roundbale
8707D735-A7F1-46DC-9914-A7646C0E925C.jpeg

Maple and Flame
985EB4E2-BB25-4AAD-B6A0-0636A8AC2CA5.jpeg

Maple informing me that she too likes Starbucks
BFF72428-A972-44CB-A252-05BB43D9673E.jpeg

The moment it set in for me how many sheep I really own

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are doing good with your lambs, sounds like fun. How many meat chicks are you getting? Are they for show or meat for the family?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are doing good with your lambs, sounds like fun. How many meat chicks are you getting? Are they for show or meat for the family?
Thank you. I just got 25. They will get shown at fair, and three might get sold depending on things. The rest will go into our freezer for some delicious meals.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been out of chicken. Been slaughtering chickens, had 45 sold. We slaughtered the last 10 sold chickens today, got to get them cut and vacuum sealed tomorrow. I simmered the bones from boneless skinless chicken breast and picked the meat off and made chicken mole’ tonight. It was good! I’ve been wanting chicken and cornbread dressing, will have to fix that soon. Have 23 more to get in the freezer!

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, I promise I will get pictures (eventually), but I feel you guys deserve a brief update.
A month ago things looked very bleak for Lightning. We didn't want to give up hope, because there is a purple banner hanging in the barn as a reminder of what is possible when you keep doing everything in your power to keep going. Due to our situation, for a while it did look like we would be opting for surgery, and we seriously discussed our options for a little while. But we just kept discussing them, and never made a firm plan. With heavy drugs we I was able to bring Lightning to a prospect show, but we still weren't really sure what we could do. Lambs are judged based off of a variety of things, mostly the muscle, and somewhat the leg hair. I was super lucky that Lightning has very fluffy legs naturally, but for a while his muscling just wasn't there because he was unable to get worked.
That brings us to last week, we decided it was time to get one more x-ray just to see where we are. Realistically if we were going to opt for surgery, it would need to be done within the next two weeks, to have a tiny chance at County Fair, but really to aim for State Fair. Last Thursday, we got the x-ray done, and he is mostly healed up, I don't know the exact veterinary terms, but it was significant healing. We did start one more round of antibiotics because the last time was so successful. The plan going forward is to try and catch the others. We have 7 weeks to go, so it is a challenge, but last year taught me that anything is possible.
Sorry I don't have pictures, they will come soon.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, once again no pictures, sorry but I am doing this in a time crunch. County Fair is about a week out. The stress is on, but at least this year I get to do it with all the friends I didn't get to see last year. I do have some difficult news, I do not know the extent of it yet, but Lightning's abscess opened up again today. It was nearly healed for the past two months, but unfortunately today I found puss, and the skin pealed right off. We are still discussing options, but it is a very hard pill to swallow, knowing that after all this work, we are uncertain if he will make it to county fair.
Hope to have more to update with and some pictures soon, but gotta get back to work.