Pony training

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey, is there anyone in Victoria, Australia who knows of a good trainer? I've got a pony who needs to go over the basics again but I don't know how to/ Where to start. She's a good pony, just needs to have a bit more training. She was out in the paddock not being ridden for a few years and is a bit overweight and not very fit. At this point I'm just trying to get her to trust me, come up to me when she sees me and do light walks around the paddock while on the lead as well as following me without the lead.

Is this the right way to go about it? I've searched the internet but can't seem to find much to help me.

Thanks in advance

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey, is there anyone in Victoria, Australia who knows of a good trainer? I've got a pony who needs to go over the basics again but I don't know how to/ Where to start. She's a good pony, just needs to have a bit more training. She was out in the paddock not being ridden for a few years and is a bit overweight and not very fit. At this point I'm just trying to get her to trust me, come up to me when she sees me and do light walks around the paddock while on the lead as well as following me without the lead.

Is this the right way to go about it? I've searched the internet but can't seem to find much to help me.

Thanks in advance
I find going over the basics is best.

Catch her, halter, lead. Get her to learn perfect ground manners... pick up and clean feet.

And then, once that is going smoothly, start some round pen work.

Do you have a round pen? Or something similar?

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I've been walking her around and stuff to get her in shape. I don't have a round pen but I was thinking I could just set up the portable electric fence. I won't turn it on but she doesn't jump and she won't try to get out.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I've been walking her around and stuff to get her in shape. I don't have a round pen but I was thinking I could just set up the portable electric fence. I won't turn it on but she doesn't jump and she won't try to get out.
Sounds good