Porkchop48 - Long overdue LONG update

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Finally I get two minutes to breathe.

In the last 10 days we have butchered 10 pigs, 30 some chickens and have 4 deer hanging in the walk in. The pigs were the hardest. We normally do quit a few pigs a year for friends and family but 10 a once was too much. Not to mention the bad timing and I ended up working 4 12 hour days with in those 10 days in addition to my normal 9 hour days... :th

My new little doeling was delivered on Sunday ( along with 5 more chickens to butcher..lol) She is 100% boer. She is almost 3 months old and weigh around 52 lbs. PIcs of Cee Cee will be coming soon. She is black headed with some awesome markings. Her daddy was all black and her mom was a red headed.

Ditto and Bailey are acting as the welcoming commitee. I swear I could put them two goats with any one and they would be happy campers.

Not a whole lot else going on. I am patiently waiting to see if any one comes back into heat if not I guess it in on for the second week of february :)

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Things will slow down eventually right?

I am actually skipping my first frog show in about 6 years. I just do not have the stock right now. Still in the middle of the frog room redo. Things should be going better in that area by the beginning of the yeat..

I am going to look at a 4-5 month old Lamancha doeling in the next couple of days. Very excited at possibly getting her. I have not seen pics at all yet but we will see how it goes and how she looks.

Came home to 5 Americana / turken mixes hatched out my my silker mix hen. I felt bad but I snatched them from her and brought them inside. One is an awesome chickmunk looking thing. Will have to work on getting pics.

Still trying to get a hold of a man who I am pretty sure screwed me on a frog deal.. Yippy. Having issues with my renters. They do not seem to understand it is due on the first. That does not mean your first paycheck after the first you deposit half the rent. It mean bu the first it should all be there.

Got a few mums planted today. Hope to pick up a couple more tomorrow. Hope to pick up a couple more 29 gal tanks tomorrow. All my frog pairs are being upgraded and hoping to up the axolotl group again. I went from an adult breeder group of 12 when I moved down to 2. Makes it a little harder to get them breeding that way and the weather is finally perfect for them.

I think I may be rambling now.

Deers number 8,9 and 10 are in the cooler waiting to be butchered. Atleast these orders should be pretty easy. We did our first try of summer sausage with the peppers and high temp cheese... Came out pretty good.

I sooo need to get back into the picture taking mood. Will have to work on that as soon as I get two minutes to actually find the camera again.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you make your own summer sausage? I would love to try that! I would love to see your processing set up.

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I sooo need to get some pics of the meat room. Yes we make Summer sausage. This is the first year we made it with the high temp cheese and hot peppers I grew in the garden. People are loving it.

Work is killing me but I love my new job. The new mangers, there are 3 of us. Me the business office, Kalya the LSW and John the maintence man, we all have blue badges.. We all have blue badges for the first 6 months. I banded us all together to help out with Christmas for the residents. We raise money all year to buy presents for the residents ( the whole company does) well when talking to the activities director she was talking about the 120 gift she has to buy and wrap and said something about the wrapping paper having to be bought as well out of the fundraiser money... So us blue badgers bought all the wrapping paper, bows and gift tags. I think we may have gone a bit over board as they have enough paper now to wrap the building... But hey it helps :)

I have a reptile expo coming up this weekend and plan to use 1/2 of all sales from fruit fly cultures to pick up some sweat shirts for gifts for residents. They always need clothes so I figured I could help out a bit more.

We have a 12 days of christmas fund raiser coming up soon too. Each department made a basket of sorts and one gets raffled off each day for the 12 days before christmas.

There is a pink basket, 2 cleaning baskets, a cooking basket, a exercise basket...and not sure of the other yet. Of course our basket is the best... A Japanese basket :) two bottles of Saki, a Saki Karafe set, a $50 gift card to a local Japanese steak house and instead of a basket it is in a wok along with a wok cook book :)

Finally shipped off the boer mix male that I did not know if I wanted to keep or not. He just was not what I wanted. Got 1.47 a lb for him so I was happy. All of the girls are between 8-11 weeks along and doing good so far. Well except Ditto and Bailey but they are still too young.

Minion the steer has been penned up and will be butchered some time mid december. The deer are rolling in and I feel like all we do is cut up meat :)

Got a large frog order coming in on Thursday... The start of my new collection and the re intro back into frogs. I needed the few months off. I really did.

Still patiently waiting on the paperwork for our short sale property. I would love to mosey the goats on across the street to the fields over there to browse. 20 acres of woods and fields would be a smorgasboard for them ... not to mention save me on some hay :) But I patiently wait.

Ok enough rambling for now.. I need to try and update this thing more often if even just to keep my self in check and know what the heck I am doing.

Oh oh And finally Dart Frog Dungeon has a face book page... Woo Hoo. Look me up. Just started it.. Many pics to come soon.

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok to look up Dart frog Dungeon on Face book... you have to type in Dart frog Dungeon Malta Ohio.... Really?? What a pain???

Been a busy few weeks. Plenty of the does are starting to have nice round bellies but no one is working on udders yet so I am try to not get too excited yet.

Not too sure about Kreature. She looks bred but also acts like she comes back into heat. I guess if she does not kid this year I will see about seeing if she has a problem going on which can hopefully be fixed.

Been putting in many many 12 hours days a work... Being salary sucks. Got all the christmas present wrapped for the residents. every one will have atleast 2-3 presents to unwrap this year. Lost of work, time and wrapping paper but I am sure it is worth it.

After 6 12 hour days in a row, lots of butchering, and just plain ole being wore out my Granny decided to visit. I love her to death and I know she loves to visit the farm so I was happy to have her. Took her to a loacl play, had her help vaccum seal meat and wash eggs. She even sat in the middle of the living room with baby chicks and played with them.

Soo saturday I am exhausted... it is about 11:30, finally got doen wrapping presents, got a shower and was curled up on the couch. DH says I'm really hot and I look over and he is sweating. He does to change clothes and I must have fallen asleep. I am woke up what seems like hours later ( but was only minutes) with him shoving my cell in my face saying call 911 we have a fire and runs out the door......

My first thought is.. that SOB the house is on fire and he just left me...

When he was coming back from changing clothes, as he was walking down the hall you can see out the kitchen window to my "woman cave" ( single car garage with brooder, feeds and all my frog stuff in it). The woman cave was on fire. I call 911 and run out the door helping with the garden hose. I must say he was doing pretty good with just a little garden hose. I had 4 chicks in the brooder. we tried to go get them but were unable to due to the smoke. The firefighters arrived and managed to get the fire out. After the fire out I hear one of them save. OH MY they are still alive and I went running in to get my chicks. all 4 of them huddled in the corner but still alive.

All my frog stuff is a total loss and pretty much everything in the garage is a loss ( tools, tanks, frog stuff, feed, bedding, etc) but every one is alive. No one got hurt and things are replaceable. Ot could have been worse. I do not know what made him start sweating and decide to change clothes but damn I am glad he did.

Bitterroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh gosh hun I'm so sorry to hear that. I think anyone who keeps herps' worst nightmare is a fire in the dragon's den. Glad you and the critters are okay. :hugs

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is horrible!!!:hit
Glad that everyone made it, but the loss!!!!:( I sincerly hope you can get built back up without too much problem!

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh I'm so sorry! That must have been so frightening! The poor chicks, I hope they survive after that smoke inhalation. Sorry you lost all of your frog stuff. :hugs

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's awful :hugs

Glad you didn't lose any chicks...now I'm concerned that my heat lamp in the shed brooder may cause a fire...did you figure out what started the fire?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
:hu That is so scary. I am so glad that you and all over you critters are okay. So sorry about all of your stuff though. :hugs