Possible bottle jaw? Possible goiter?

OllieAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a ewe that seems to have some swelling right where the neck meets the jaw. It also just seems to be a bit more on one side than than the other. I am trying to figure out if it is bottle jaw or a neck goiter?

So far I have rounded up the flock and wormed everyone with some ivermectin,( they have not been wormed since spring started). There eyes look okay, nobody seemed to be anemic.

I palpated the area and it was not hard or firm.

I want to also give her something with iodine in it, maybe?? Right now all I have on hand is nutria-drench and a vitamin b complex paste.

What would you guys recommend?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you post a photo? What you're describing sounds more like goiter but it can be hard to tell. Bottle jaw will be a swelling along the line of the jaw bone, and you might see flesh dangling down like a turkey neck. Goiter is a swelling right at the crook of the neck, though it's usually even on both sides.

How old is the ewe? You don't have to give iodine for goiter if the ewe is still a lamb. For an adult, I'd be more concerned. What kind of mineral do you have out for them? Does it contain iodized salt?

I would give her some nutri-drench and vit b complex right now.

Ivermectin is not usually effective in sheep flocks anymore. What number are their eyes on the famacha scale? You might take a fecal in to your vet and see if there are any parasites.

OllieAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The ewe is going to be 3 in December. I use purina loose sheep mineral, and from what I could get off the tag it does has potassium iodide in it. Did go get so kelp the other day to mix in with the mineral.

I finally got a good picture of her to show what the neck looks like.
IMG_1072 2.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
It does look a lot like goiter, especially if she is not anemic and has a clean fecal. You should be able to find iodide in a well-stocked drugstore, sometimes the liquid is more common. I know I can't find it around me and have had to order online. The kelp is a good start, I would also begin adding extra iodine to your minerals (I purchase the iodine/selenium/vit E mix from Pipestone to add to my minerals), and maybe then sprinkling some minerals in with their feed to make sure they're getting enough.

OllieAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It does look a lot like goiter, especially if she is not anemic and has a clean fecal. You should be able to find iodide in a well-stocked drugstore, sometimes the liquid is more common. I know I can't find it around me and have had to order online. The kelp is a good start, I would also begin adding extra iodine to your minerals (I purchase the iodine/selenium/vit E mix from Pipestone to add to my minerals), and maybe then sprinkling some minerals in with their feed to make sure they're getting enough.

Thanks for the tip on iodine selenium vet E mix. will be getting some of that.

OllieAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Vet came out today. He thinks its bottle jaw and the worming should knit it in the butt. Said it will take a bit of time for the swelling to go down. Thank you everyone! I don't have many sheep people in my area so its nice to have a place to get some feed back from:)