Possible bred ewe? Opinions?

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was having a hard time with your time lines but will say sometimes the ewes will be coming into estrus but not accepting yet. The rams get the smell but not the ewes "affection" yet so he'll get all horney and a bit nasty. Ive never seen one hurt a ewe but cant ever say never so...I dont get to worried if the sheep have some space to get away. Maybe more problematic in a small area.
Unless you have a harness its really a guessing game!
Good luck

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm mixed up with my time lines too lol!!!
So much stuff going on.
I had them inside the barn, because it's really muddy and mucky and rainy outside... marsh land!
OR had been for a while! One of those, "I don't want them walking in that... and I don't want to walk in that!"
So Diana really couldn't get away.
IT WAS AWFUL WATCHING HIM HURT HER.
Like, he gored her with his horn :barnie
And he knocked my other ewe down and she has a gash/scrape on her knee from the gravel road.

It will be a guessing game!!!
I really like knowing WHEN and WHERE something happens, but that can't always be the case.
I get impatient if I don't know lol, but AH WELL.
There will either be babies in May, in August, or not at all!
(I should invest in a marking harness)

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think I'd be keeping a ram that "hurt" my ewes. goring her with a horn is not acceptable and I don't remember ever seeing my rams or anyone else's for that matter knock a ewe down. can't remember where and when you said you got him but both or those behaviors would have me thinking about getting rid of him asap.
Good luck

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got him the first week of March.
We had him 21 days exactly!

HE is currently getting cut into shoulder steak, rib roast, and stew meat :cool:
My dad and I did away with the guy yesterday, and he was hanging over night.
SO he'll make some nice stew mean I'm sure.
It was kind of satisfying getting rid of him. No more worrying about him attacking the ewes!
We're keeping his head too. He had some nice horns, and my dad wants to keep the skull and stuff.

I've already decided that if any of my ewes have his lambs and those lambs are rams, THEY WILL BE CASTRATED. Not dealing with or selling any potentially harmful ram lambs.

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You don't want to steak the shoulders, you need to steak the backstraps/loins, those are some good steaks. Even on a young animal the shoulders are a slow cooking, tough, cut.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's the thing with hair sheep, eh? If you don't want to keep them, they are good eating. When our ram a few years ago got very dangerous, he became a freezer ram. For any tough cuts, a slow cooker with potatoes and carrots always comes out great.

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think we've slow cooked all the lamb we've had so far :p
I personally like them in stew with the potatoes and carrots and celery and broth.
BEST EVER

How's your maybe-going-to-lamb ewe doing?

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hate it when I feel good about eating one that's been bad! But sometimes you just can't help it!
Good on you both. Hope you enjoy him how ever you cook it.
My favorite is anything bbq'd. In fact it's the only what we cut ours. All steaks, chops or other cuts that can be grill.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
bcnew....I know right??? There was not even a tiny bit of sadness in eating Watson...he was trying to take us out and it was going to be him or us leaving. I don't name rams anymore...just in case.

Parsnip, Dixie has I'm guessing until the end of April??? Only clue I have is her little udder getting bigger. She's not getting wide yet....just the udder so far.

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, no sadness in Buttercup leaving us...

So far we've gotten 44lbs of meat off of the guy ;)
And we're 2/3rds of the way done cutting him up.
Just have the back 1/3rd of him left to do!
2 paper grocery sacks have been filled, and each are around 20lbs.
GOOD DEAL I'D SAY

Yeah, Diana's teats are getting more swollen, but she's not getting any wider either!
(might just be in heat lol dunno)