powerball

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
According to Google you get less money if you take the lump sum.

"A single winner of the estimated $800 million Powerball prize, after paying federal and Arizona taxes, could receive roughly $450 million if agreeing to take the prize as an annuity over 30 years — or about $275 million or so if taken as a lump sum, for which the payout is nearly 40 percent lower."

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't you know you aren't supposed to check until the next day?
You get to be rich for another day

The teachers that I mentioned that won a few years ago bought 10 weeks worth of tickets all at the same time and only checked them every 10 weeks. They always bought them at the same store and there was an article in the paper about a winning ticket from that store so they checked their tickets and yup, it was them. I really think that always playing the same numbers is what I would do if I was a serious contender, which I am not. But I don't think I wold go 10 weeks without checking my tickets; might win enough for coffee or dinner.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I didn't win :(

Neither did anyone else!!! 16 people from 14 states matched 5 with 2 in CT & TX, one each in CT & TX had the power play.

Right now it's looking like 1.3 BILLION dollars for the next pot! I would bet it makes it to 1.5 or very near :ep:th

Might just have to double down. Maybe take out a 2nd mortgage to invest. Gotta do my part to help it grow...

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's funny as I think of things to do that would take the loose change from that amount of money. Buy my kids a house, a car, pay off their college loans. Pay off my house, pave the road, maybe even move to more land that is level and irrigated, buy a new Toyota Tundra, take care of my mom for the rest of her life. So that will take a very very small chunk of that money. The rest I would give away in one way or another, hard choices but fun ones. Could I fix the world?

How many tickets would a person have to buy to guarantee the winning combo. More than a billion?

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
odds are ~ 257 million to one, so for a quarter of a billion dollars, covering every possible combo, you could be an assured winner of at least a portion of 1.3+ billion dollars. The biggest issue is finding enough machines to print out all those tickets for you in 4 days time.

If you are the loan winner (unlikely) you'll have a 5:1 return on investment. If there are more than 6 winners, you lose money on the deal.

All my kids and a sister would be joining me as part of the winning "group" on the ticket. My proceeds would mostly be used for charitable purposes... mostly vets and kids. And I agree... even trying to picture that large a sum is nearly impossible. I could realistically spend a couple million with ease, but a billion? whew.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I ran simple numbers, and even taking the annuity, the numbers are insane. Even ¼of it is insane.
Beyond a few basic things for me, a tractor and a few implements and perhaps more land, I like to think I'd remain the bum I am. Of course I'd help out the nephews and their kids to some extent, although not easy living for life, they need to work!

Biggest issue would be who could I best give money to do the most good for causes I support, children, education, help others learn to support themselves.

I did win $4 this week! (Lost more than that, though)

And quit my job and work part time at the feed store for the discount ;)

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Have I mentioned I'm a dreamer who enjoys math? I believe it will be closer to 1.5 billion than 1.3 by Wednesday. @1.5 billion, for a single winner, would be 50 million a year before taxes for 30 years. Close enough for govt work that's almost a million a week for 30 years! Can you get a grip on that? Even after taxes, it's still ~30 million a year.

I would be completely thrilled to win PCH's $5000 a week for life! a mere 1/4 mil a year...

I'd still take the cash lump sum at 1/2 a billion after taxes.