Pregnant doe and buckling questios

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
About his testes, it is hard to say, they are smallish, but if he stays healthy, they may grow fine. He could be pulling them up because you are touching him too. My big bucks sometimes have a small area at the bottom of the scrotal sac (a small pointed area), that has nothing in it. They use the scrotum to regulate temperature to keep sperm at better temps. Cold temps, bring them closer to the body, warm weather and they hang low in an attempt to keep them cooler.

As for rut, boers are seasonal breeders. In my little corner of California, rut starts in late summer, early fall and is strongest in about September to November. Right about now, most hormones are calming down and rut smell and behaviors have weaned.... until fall. My big boys should be better behaved for several months. My nigerian dwarf bucks will be ready year round as they are not as seasonal, but willing to breed and kid year round. Different breeds.

The double nipples are tolerated in boers, but it is much better if you have 1x1. Even if you are breeding primarily for terminal animals (food) you still want your breeders to have good or excellent mammary systems, plenty of milk and the drive to feed their kids well and be good mothers.Your kids will grow better and faster with great milk and good mothering. Choose the best out of what your options are and go from there.

Thanks! I am thinking of developing a composite breed to the best of my ability as I think they will survive here with low nutrition and no vaccines better than pure breeds. I just noticed one of them pooping with liquid hanging on like a chain. I will post some pictures

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
droppings

Attachments

• 20180401_145647.png
    20180401_145647.png
    649.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 20180401_145637.png
    20180401_145637.png
    496.1 KB · Views: 232

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello! :welcome

I used to raise Boers but we’ve switched to dairy goats. I can completely understand with trying to work with what you have but it does sound like genetic diversity will be an ongoing problem. Just a thought...you might want to investigate the importation process and start saving up to bring in several animals at one time. Planning to do so in (for example 5 years) will give you a great range of different genetics if you bring in say two or three unrelated bucklings and the same number or more unrelated doelings depending on funds. Giving yourself a reasonable amount of time will help to reduce the stress involved. Having those genetics in your animals should make them a hot commodity and you should be able to ask higher prices.

As far as diet, I found this link to one of the feed company websites in the US. This link is to a more basic page but their site has information on feed contents and mineral makeups. Both sets of information should help you to incorporate better management into your herd.

http://info.mannapro.com/homestead/breaking-down-the-goat-diet

As far as the testicles go, I wouldn’t be afraid to let them grow a bit longer. You might also notice that they testicles are further down in the sac when they are standing upright and gravity is helping with the pull. On the other hand, don’t be afraid to cull inferior stock. The longevity and viability of your herd is based on your animals being able to maintain and sustain.

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! :welcome

I used to raise Boers but we’ve switched to dairy goats. I can completely understand with trying to work with what you have but it does sound like genetic diversity will be an ongoing problem. Just a thought...you might want to investigate the importation process and start saving up to bring in several animals at one time. Planning to do so in (for example 5 years) will give you a great range of different genetics if you bring in say two or three unrelated bucklings and the same number or more unrelated doelings depending on funds. Giving yourself a reasonable amount of time will help to reduce the stress involved. Having those genetics in your animals should make them a hot commodity and you should be able to ask higher prices.

As far as diet, I found this link to one of the feed company websites in the US. This link is to a more basic page but their site has information on feed contents and mineral makeups. Both sets of information should help you to incorporate better management into your herd.

http://info.mannapro.com/homestead/breaking-down-the-goat-diet

As far as the testicles go, I wouldn’t be afraid to let them grow a bit longer. You might also notice that they testicles are further down in the sac when they are standing upright and gravity is helping with the pull. On the other hand, don’t be afraid to cull inferior stock. The longevity and viability of your herd is based on your animals being able to maintain and sustain.

Hi!

That is indeed valuable advice. Thank you. The link was very helpful. There is no hay that be purchased here so I will have to make some of my own. Thinking of sorghum sudan grass for hay.

I want to infuse whatever blood I can into the existing animals until someone imports some superior blood lines. I raise Jamunaparis. Will try to post some pictures if possible.