Promise Acre: Our Journey

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doing that plaster is a job that is unbelieveable. I commend you for doing it. That will be on my agenda next year for the 2 upstairs bedrooms.... just the ceilings it looks like. But I am already dreading it..... luckily I will be able to close off the upstairs pretty much to do it. Still going to be a job.
Glad he had a good birthday and that it went well at the farm. :thumbsup:highfive::yesss:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really should be doing school or something more productive but am a bit exhausted. Girls are
Monday and Tuesday after school and everything else we had to do John and I finished the last bedroom upstairs, so all plaster is down except the bathroom and stairwells upstairs, so ALMOST 50% done with that job. We'll probably start on lathe upstairs soon. And can't forget the bathroom. Surely downstairs will be easier since it doesn't have to be hauled down the stairs.
DH has been cutting hay every night since Monday (after work). Last night he taught me to run the rake, so I raked the first field while he finished cutting and John tedded. This afternoon I'll rake as much as I can and we'll start baling.
No frost yet but tomatoes and peppers have taken a backseat this week to the hay. No predicted low temps so hoping I can make more sauce, might just make plain and do Baymule's BBQ at a later date.
This morning found that Daisy had gotten into the fence... so got it and her fixed up. She'll be ok but scrapped up both rear legs good. It's always something. Did have 2 rabbits get picked up this week, probably taking some to the cull buyer next week... I need to split up some litters and out of cages. Oh and have some does due early next week.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you sure it would not be a lot easier to just put 1/4" drywall over the lath and plaster? You wouldn't lose any appreciable space and you'll be putting up 1/2" drywall over the studs once all the lath and plaster are out anyway.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that you were wanting to do insulating behind the lath??? The guy who does the old log homes and restorations said that when we do the upstairs, that he will take out a couple of laths top and bottom of the walls where some will have to come down, besides the ceilings, and feed the insulation battens from the top down to the bottom. Attach at the top and bottom and it will save alot of work and do as good a job. Might be something you guys want to think about. Since you have all the plaster gone, you can easily take out a couple on top, one or two midway, and a couple on the bottom, get the battens of insulation in, and still have the lath there to just put the sheetrock on. Save alot of tearing out and not compromise the insulation idea.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce @farmerjan
DH is in charge of how the house goes back together... he has been researching for awhile and feels this is best. There’ll be siding, insulation, an air gap then electric and more insulation, I think. Some things I argue about but completely ok with him making these decisions. While this plan isn't the easiest it should be long term and help with energy costs.
So after about a 3 year wait, we picked out a new puppy for the kids. 😀 crazy picking out a pup at 2 weeks old but seems to be how it’s done now. Have known the mother’s breeder for awhile. She knew we wanted one and let me know when these were born. Kids are super excited. He is a pembroke corgi
708C8A4F-9C05-4FEE-A4FD-4609F020B00C.jpeg
62DA7EF9-E439-4717-B655-9AAA274DD40A.jpeg

Last edited: