Purplequeenvt - Lambing 2023

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope your house lamb improves. Has she learned how to walk in the wheelchair? I’ll say this, you are one awesome sheep mommy.

She just figured out that she can move the wheelchair tonight! It’s hard for her, but she does it. She’s all tuckered out now and is curled up, sound asleep.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Progress! She was able to keep herself up on her feet for almost a minute. She even squatted to pee.

Only 2 ewes left to lamb. They are supposed to be due on 3/26 and 3/28, but based on their udder development, they likely got bred 17 days later.

I’m going to start giving Bo-Se shots again. I haven’t been giving them since I moved to KY. Selenium is vital for reproductive health and I suspect that may be why I’ve had a lot of singles the last few years and why some of my ewes re-cycle so many times before settling.

I think I’ll give everyone a dose this spring and then again 30 days before putting the rams in.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lizzie took her first unassisted steps this morning! She made it about 2 steps before she forgot which leg she was supposed to be using and fell over. I then put her in her wheelchair and she sat for a few minutes before very purposefully scooting herself across the room to where I was. She’s all tuckered out from the exercise and is taking a nap in my recliner. That’s unfortunate though because I need to get up and do some things and she’s snuggling with me.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think we may not need the wheel chair anymore. She took a few tentative steps last night, but this morning she walked across the kitchen. The tendons in her front legs are tight which is making walking harder. The only fix for that is to keep using them.

She was coming to me, but got distracted by the big fluffy dog bed which she tried to jump into. Made me laugh, silly little thing can barely walk, but she thinks she’ll be able to jump into the dog bed. 🤣 I rewarded her efforts by putting her in the bed and now she’s taking a well deserved nap.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score

Udo, the big triplet, is a problem. He’s fat and sassy because he steals off anyone he can. I’ve pulled him off pretty much every ewe in the barn. If the ewe has a single, I’ll let him nurse for a bit.

I got the milk bucket set up for the triplets, mainly for the littlest boy. He, of course, wants nothing to do with it. Udo and sister Xena have both had some good meals, but I don’t think they’ve figured out that it’s always available to them.