Purplequeenvt - Lambing 2023

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Udo took all the nutrients from his brother and sister! He may not be photogenic, but he’s still a cutie!
I think P-Ewe was pregnant in both uterine horns so the 2 black babies are “twins” and Udo was a “single”. Basically 2 separate pregnancies happening simultaneously. Normally there’s only 1 set of afterbirth no matter how many lambs there are, but P-Ewe passed 2 complete afterbirths.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
There’s a first-time Shetland ewe in labor. I had to put her a pen by herself because all of the yearlings (and a few older ones) were being jerks to her and kept getting in her face. Now she’s angry that she’s locked up.

I had to leave her and come back inside because I think my presence was making everyone extra annoying. They are all in a mood today.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I knew Fiona loves me! She just had twin GIRLS! #1 is a black gulmoget with no spots and #2 is all white with eye patches, colored ear tips, and a few spots on her butt. She also has to be either gulmoget or katmoget as mom is a gul/kat, but I can’t tell right now which pattern the lamb has.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score

Orla - black gulmoget (dark body, light belly)

Look! A spot! 🤣

Oona - moorit (brown) spotted katmoget or gulmoget. She has to be one of the 2, but I can’t tell which one she is. I may not know for sure until she has lambs herself.

They are both a good size (for Shetlands) at 5.5 and 5.3lbs. I honestly was only expecting 1 from Fiona. She wasn’t very big. I helped her a bit with the first lamb (only because her cervix was still tight). Surprise #2 popped out while Fiona was still cleaning #1.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score

Orla - black gulmoget (dark body, light belly)

Look! A spot! 🤣

Oona - moorit (brown) spotted katmoget or gulmoget. She has to be one of the 2, but I can’t tell which one she is. I may not know for sure until she has lambs herself.

They are both a good size (for Shetlands) at 5.5 and 5.3lbs. I honestly was only expecting 1 from Fiona. She wasn’t very big. I helped her a bit with the first lamb (only because her cervix was still tight). Surprise #2 popped out while Fiona was still cleaning #1.
Cuties!!!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Orla is hard to get pictures of right now.

Oona, however, is a little flirt.

Leroy 💕 He’s looking gorgeous. He’s built like a tank with nice straight legs and a flat top line.

I was going to give all the lambs name tags since there’s so many now, but I haven’t ordered more tags yet I only had a handful left. I just did the 3 white Border Leicester ewes since they are the only ones I have trouble with.

I love my Border Leicesters, but Shetland lambs are definitely my favorite.