Purplequeenvt - New Journal

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you sell any of the fleeces? Do you process the raw fleece yourself or send them out to be done? I’m fascinated by the whole process but I don’t know much about it. I can’t even knit or crochet.

I haven’t sold any fleeces recently because advertising stresses me out.

I do all the processing myself right now, but I may send some fleeces off at some point to be washed and carded. There’s a mill a couple hours away.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I built a “coyote roller” for the top of a feeder today. It’s the rams’ pen and Oskar stays with them during the winter. He can climb over the feeder and hopefully this will prevent that.

The boys, minus 1, were put back together. I didn’t really want to do it before NAILE since I’ll have to reintroduce them all over again, but I needed to snap Hazard out of his girl obsession since he’ll need to be penned with Stanley for a week. I’m worried he’s going to be nasty to him if he’s frustrated about not being with the girls.

This is a good excuse to keep extra wethers around, extra padding when introducing rams. 🤣

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
We played with the ducks a few days ago.

I accidentally almost killed one of the runners. I had a stick in my hand and swung it back really quickly to try to block the ducks from getting behind me and one of them chose that moment to make a run for it. The stick connected with his tiny head and left him stunned for a good 10 minutes. He’s fine now so I guess no harm done.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
The sheep are all settled at the fairgrounds. As you can see, Stanley is terribly stressed.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle with the neighboring rams. I know the owner and she’s a bit of a problem. She blamed my rams for her rams being all riled up, but the reality is that every single time I’ve seen her at a show, her rams are humping and harassing each other. We put a tarp up between my yearling ram and her rams.

Stanley

Oskar and his roller bar

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are still waiting on our show to start. The junior show has dragged on and on. They *might* be almost to the last breed and then they have to do the supreme drive.

Stanley is still super stressed.

The ewes are bored and are trying to eat people.

I may be coming home with more sheep than I arrived with. I’m buying this Border Leicester ram lamb. I need a new white ram for next year and wasn’t really in the market for one now, but he’s a nice guy that fits what I’m looking for. Bonus is that I don’t have to travel anywhere to get him or figure out transport.

Bruno

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m not really expecting to place extremely well today I have really nice sheep, but they are a different type than the usual “show” Shetland. They’re a slightly smaller framed animal with a finer fleece. Most of the Shetlands I’ve seen so far are heavier set with long “primitive” double coats. Shetland shows are a crap shoot anyways because so much depends on whether or not the judge knows the Shetland breed standard.

The biggest class is the yearling ram class with 10 animals. Actually, the best fleece class is the biggest.