Purplequeenvt - New Journal

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are the white girls most valuable since their wool can be dyed?

Great looking statistics on the lambing.

Not necessarily. If you are selling to a big commercial wool pool, then white wool is what you want. They also prefer fine/medium wool like merino, Rambouillet, Columbia, etc vs the long wool breeds.

Hand spinners/crafters like both white and natural colored. My preference is a silver, gray, or brown (moorit) fleece.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I let everyone out on the grass for a few minutes today.

Hirta

The new twins, Gunna and Vane

Harris

Oban

Fiona

Miss T named Patti’s lamb “Elsa.” Yes, she has watched Frozen 7 million times. But Elsa is a much better name than “Wheel” which was her 1st idea.

I somehow managed to get all 4 dogs in one spot, at the same time, and all looking in approximately the correct direction.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess it’s been a while since I’ve updated anything.

I survived lambing season. It was fairly uneventful. Everyone is growing and doing well. Sold some lambs, trying to sell some more. Bought a couple new rams.

My part of KY has been in a drought for weeks and the grass completely dried up. I had to start feeding hay and extra grain. We’ve thankfully gotten lots of grain over the last couple weeks and the grass is making a good comeback.

Oban, yearling Shetland ram

Kelvin, Border Leicester ram (he’s for sale if anyone is interested)

I added a LGD this spring. Oskar is an Anatolian. It’s my first time with an Anatolian, I’ve always had GPs. He’s still a baby, but he’s completely won me over to the Anatolian side.

My Best Boy, Twist, turned 2 last week. We still haven’t done any formal herding training, but he can help me with the basics. He just discovered the fun of herding poultry.