Purplequeenvt - New Journal

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sheared 18 sheep this weekend. I’ve got 2 rams and 4 retired ewes left to do, but they aren’t a priority.

I’m really happy with my yearling Border Leicester ewes, both the whites and blacks. They’re all built really nicely and have gorgeous fleeces. I was debating selling 2-3 of them, but now I think I’ll cut some of the older ewes and keep all the yearlings. I think they’re going to cross well with my new ram, Bruno.

Found a couple little surprises when I sheared the 2 Shetland yearlings…..they’ve got little udders growing. 😬 It *could* just be chunkiness and/or hormones, but their vulvas look bred too and I used the PregTone on them and got a positive sound on both. They are most likely bred (through a fence) to their dad. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
1st lambs are due on the 21st and 28th. My crossbred ewe, Ida, is due first and then a Shetland, Fiona. Fiona had my 2 girls (the little hussy sisters) last year so I’m excited for her lambs this year. Of course she’ll probably have boys this year. 🤣

I’m late on doing CD&T shots this year. I’ll hopefully get to it this afternoon, but I’m waiting on my Premier1 package with the UltraBoss so I can de-lice at the same time.

P-Ewe isn’t due until 3/5. She had triplets last year and I think she’s bigger this year.

I washed Xena’s fleece. It felted a bit, but I was able to pull it back apart easily so no harm done. I forgot that Border Leicester felts easily and requires extra care when washing.

I did a little test spin a few days ago. So @Baymule could see how the brown tips blend in.

Monster is always in the way. He was laying on the hay I was trying to put in the feeders so I scooped him up with the pitchfork. He just went with. 🤣

I don’t normally do selfies, but Twist was just so cute here and I rarely get a candid shot of him where he genuinely looks happy and relaxed instead of zoned in on something else or trying to avoid the camera.

I scanned the questionable ewes again. I got positive beeps on Isla, Jura, and the 2 little hussy girls, but not on Elsa. Physical signs agree with the PregTone.