Purplequeenvt - New Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous blanket!
I can only knit and purl. That's it. I like knitting since I find it calming but working intricate patterns like you do might not be as calming as the basic stitches. I did learn to crochet a border on my knitted blankets this year. I make small ones with chunky yarn and use about 350 yards for a small blankie to donate to the abused women's home. I can't imagine making anything so exquisite as that cobweb lace baby blanket! Not to mention the beautifully spun lace weight wool you did. DH and I took a spinning class. He did well - I did not. The teacher was kind though and classified our finished product as "Art Yarn". We used a purchased wool at first, but I was most successful with the Dorset wool I had processed from our own sheep. Since it was coarser fleece I think it was easier to spin for a beginner. With the wool sheep I always hated the waste of the fleece. I gave some to a friend that did spinning and weaving but she ended up with so much from just 6 of my sheep that the next year I had to toss it. When the teacher had me bring in some fleece the class tried processing it. Most of the students were successful. I felted mine by mistake.

I decided that I prefer the White Dorpers since they don't need shearing and we love to eat lamb. No more wasted wool fleece to make me feel guilty. :)

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was finally diagnosed with ADHD last month and am taking medication for it. I feel like a new person. The best part, I haven’t had a migraine (or anxiety attack) since starting the ADHD meds!
That is so wonderful that you were able to find the root of your pain and anxiety. I’m overjoyed that you no longer have to fear a future filled with pain. :hugs

I’m also glad that you are posting again. When you started this journal, I had to look up your old one and read it through from the beginning. (A la @Senile_Texas_Aggie .) Once I was done with that, I was missing hearing from you.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
My niece showed her first sheep at NAILE on Monday. Her lambs didn’t place well (9th and 10th out of 11), but it wasn’t unexpected given that they are production bred ewes vs show bred sheep. My niece didn’t care. She got ribbons and that’s all that matters. 🤣

I was supposed to go back to Louisville today for the Border Leicester show, my youngest sister brought her flock from DE, but I had to call out of work yesterday due to being sick. I ended up with a fever and slept all day yesterday. I’m feeling generally better today, but I’ve got a very obnoxious cough. Took a Covid test this morning and it was positive. Now I get to be off work until Monday. I had to watch the show on the livestream instead.

My sister did pretty well. Got a few first places, best-headed black ewe, and premier exhibitor.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous blanket!
I can only knit and purl. That's it. I like knitting since I find it calming but working intricate patterns like you do might not be as calming as the basic stitches. I did learn to crochet a border on my knitted blankets this year. I make small ones with chunky yarn and use about 350 yards for a small blankie to donate to the abused women's home. I can't imagine making anything so exquisite as that cobweb lace baby blanket! Not to mention the beautifully spun lace weight wool you did. DH and I took a spinning class. He did well - I did not. The teacher was kind though and classified our finished product as "Art Yarn". We used a purchased wool at first, but I was most successful with the Dorset wool I had processed from our own sheep. Since it was coarser fleece I think it was easier to spin for a beginner. With the wool sheep I always hated the waste of the fleece. I gave some to a friend that did spinning and weaving but she ended up with so much from just 6 of my sheep that the next year I had to toss it. When the teacher had me bring in some fleece the class tried processing it. Most of the students were successful. I felted mine by mistake.

I decided that I prefer the White Dorpers since they don't need shearing and we love to eat lamb. No more wasted wool fleece to make me feel guilty. :)
I mean, I basically just knit and purl. Plus some yarnovers to increase and knit-2-togethers for decreases.

The long wool breeds like Border Leicester, Romney, etc…are often the easiest to learn on, but some of the medium wool breeds (like the Dorset) aren’t bad either. I’m not a fan of all the super wash merino. It’s in all the commercial yarns and roving blends. It’s not hard to spin, it’s just boring.

My mom was told when she was learning to spin that her first yarn was “art yarn” and the more she practiced, the more consistent her yarn would be. And then one day, she’d want to spin an inconsistent art yarn and she wouldn’t be able to.

I need to be better about selling my fleeces. I really picky about them. *I* will use a completely grungy fleece myself, but I have a hard time sell anything less than perfect even though I’m sure the fleece is fine.

I compost my extra fleeces or use them as mulch. Not really a waste then, right?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
NAILE is a huge show. Even 9 and 10 for a first-time shower is good in that competition. And your sister's win is enormous! There is aways next year. Too bad about getting sick. Covid may not be a killer anymore but is still ugly. Hope you feel better soon.

I mean, I basically just knit and purl. Plus some yarnovers to increase and knit-2-togethers for decreases.
Say what?! I can barely knit off. And forget the fancy casting on knitting stitch. Without the special stitch to cast on properly, I can't count stitches because when I knit the second row to transform the easy cast into stitches, I end up with about 10-15 extra stitches of yarn. So I now cast on 10-15 stitches less than I hope to end up with eventually. :lol::idunnoHowever, I just reconnected with an old friend out of the blue. She is a knitter and said there is a knitting club at the senior center on Fridays. I will go there and learn how to properly cast on the stitches. Of course, then I need to learn the strange and baffling language of knitting pattern, i.e., kn, p, kno, os, etc. what do those strange codes mean? And the real problem - I am a lefty. But I think I might knit right-handed. The benefit is that this group knits hats for cancer patients, blankets for disabled vets, and other charitable works.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I seem to be recovering just fine. So far it hasn’t been worse than your average cold for me. Except for the fever the first day. I don’t usually get fevers. I never had a sore throat or a headache.

Hopefully everything keeps getting better because I have 2 turkeys to slaughter on Sunday and it’s going to be cold. Not looking forward to that, probably going to kill and pluck outside and then finish the cleaning in the house.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m mostly recovered. I started getting some lung pain on the left a few days ago (I had pneumonia on that side a few years ago after a similar viral infection). I let it go for a couple days, but asked a doctor at work to listen to my lungs on Monday. He said I had “diminished breath sounds on the left” and I might need some antibiotics. Yesterday I had a RN in the ED check me again and she said I still wasn’t moving much air and I was going to need to do something about it.

My doctor’s office is closed for the week and I really don’t want to go to urgent care so I talked to one of the providers in the ED and he gave me a prescription for antibiotics. He said that I might not have pneumonia, it could also possibly be bronchitis or pleurisy. He told me to take the antibiotics and follow up with my doctor next week.

I don’t have to be back at work until Sunday. Assuming they don’t call me begging me to come in. Everybody is getting taken out by various viral infections right now.

Latest posts