Pygmy Buck being a pain to his companion

Drk_wlf

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My year old pygmy buck just won't leave his companion (a small year old female sheep) alone, I purchased them 2 weeks ago and according to the previous owners they grew up together. He chases after her and in general just annoys her, I also think he may be part of the reason that my sheep is so skinny (he likes head butting her when she is eating). We are planning on getting him some girl friends of his own species, but should I get him a wethered goat as a companion for him? I though I read somewhere that the bucks should be separated from the does when they are not breeding, or can I just leave them all together?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, you should get him a wether companion or another buck. If/When you get him some girlfriends you should get 2 of those as well so they can keep eachother company.

No, you should not keep the bucks and does together. Pygmys are year round breeders, so you will end up with babies upon babies, babies having babies, etc.

It's best to separate him from your female sheep, too, I would imagine....although I'm not sure if a geep or a shoat has been invented yet :gig

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You will want to separate them. I would worry about him breeding her so much that she ends up with an infection. I know some people run their males and females together but then you have no idea who is bred to who and when. Also, you really don't want the girls bothered by the boys all the time.

Drk_wlf

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was actually worried about that happening, so I looked it up and while possible it is EXTREAMLY rare and normally results in a still birth.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
glenolam said:
although I'm not sure if a geep or a shoat has been invented yet :gig
I read some research a few years back about some experiments being done with creating Chimeras. They were creating sheep/goat chimeras in the lab. I found it fascinating. They were really funny looking, the wool was in patches.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Eh - wouldn't seem worth the risk of a still born for me....even if it is extremely rare.

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Drk_wlf said:
My year old pygmy buck just won't leave his companion (a small year old female sheep) alone, I purchased them 2 weeks ago and according to the previous owners they grew up together. He chases after her and in general just annoys her, I also think he may be part of the reason that my sheep is so skinny (he likes head butting her when she is eating). We are planning on getting him some girl friends of his own species, but should I get him a wethered goat as a companion for him? I though I read somewhere that the bucks should be separated from the does when they are not breeding, or can I just leave them all together?
I have the exact same problem... well its not much of a problem yet, but I see where it would become bad. I bought a 2 month old lamb doe and a 2 month old buckling in April. They have been great companions. But the buckling is getting a lot more obnoxious towards the lamb now that they are 6 months old. I have not seem him interested in breeding her at all.. he just pushes her away from food. SO, I put their feed in 3 bowls for the 2 of them, so when he pushes her out, she has 2 other bowls to go to... they just go from bowl to bowl to bowl,..... Last week I bought 2 new goat babies. We'll see how it goes.

Drk_wlf

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We just bought two Shetland Sheep lambs one ram and one ewe! :D I love craigslist its the only way to find animals around here. We plan on putting the ram in with the goat and putting the two ewes together. Hopefully this will solve our problem.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
glenolam said:
although I'm not sure if a geep or a shoat has been invented yet :gig
I read some research a few years back about some experiments being done with creating Chimeras. They were creating sheep/goat chimeras in the lab. I found it fascinating. They were really funny looking, the wool was in patches.
It takes a lot of human interference for it to happen though, the sheep or goat will naturally reject the hybrid embryo without it being "masked" somehow to make it implant.

I would not worry about him breeding the sheep, it really does not happen, and if you see him do it, either the egg will not get fertilized or will not implant, just about 100% of the time. I would worry about him stressing her to illness or death, hurting her, or keeping her from getting enough food. Time to get him a boy buddy with an attitude as big as his, and get him away from your poor sheepy, sounds like you've got a good start on that, hopefully it works out! I have found almost all my animals through craigslist, good resource. :)