Quad update-----miracle.......

wecbob

Just born
Reaction score
A wonderful update to our Quad dilemma. Firstly thanks to all who gave me advice. About ten days ago one of our mammas gave birth to a stillborn. A voice inside of me told me to milk her out twice a day just in case.............On a whim my son and I put her in with two of the quads yesterday and held her a few times while they sucked and she has accepted them and thinks they are her own. when I peaked in her window at 4 this morning I witnessed the most heartwarming sight. Both babies were nursing at the same time. When I was young we raised a lot of sheep and we would try this but usually the mamma would not accept the new baby. We tried all the tricks of smelling perfumes and skinning the dead lamb and tying skin on new adoptee but our success rate was not good.

Not sure if goats are just more adaptable or we just lucked out but I could not be more pleased.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's great news!! :love

Critter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm so happy to hear this! What an awesome mama she is!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's one of those "she's a keeper" moms. :love Congrats!

Not all will do this, then some....well, they act like it's a buffet and "ANYONE" can eat. I used to have a mini mare that would just stand for any foal that latched on.

At least you got the colostrum from mom -- biggie -- and some in freezer for emergency. Plus, she milks for you. Any who has a bottle babe knows this is a source for warm milk...another doe.

So happy for you and the kids.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
How wonderful it worked out! The kids will do so much better, and I'm sure the 'new mom' is happy, too.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I whole hearted agree with the others on your perfect solution to your problem. Now, where the heck are the pictures? Shame on you, you can't tell us about darling quads and not give us pictures... of the quads and the two dams. :) Please and thank you very, very much.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup That is so awesome!!!! :celebrate

I'm so glad you found the most ideal solution, for your two littlest ones of the quads. And oh so wise of you to milk out Mama 2 !!!

I totally agree with @animalmom! We need photos - ASAP! :lol:

Please and thank you very much! :D

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Very awesome! Sometimes life is good! :D