Queen Mum's Dancing in the Rain

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The 6 month injection is called moxidectin. I looked up this website and found a whole lot of information about heartworms.

Moxidectin is the same as Quest and Cydectin.

I give my dogs 1cc per 100 pounds of 1% ivermectin not plus once a month for preventative. That dosage is a lot higher than the preventative chews, so I am pretty confident it takes care of it.

My understanding with heartworms was that it takes 5 months for them to develop into heartworms. So, it couldn't have been your fault. There is starting to be a lot of heartworm resistance to the regular chews.

ETA: So sorry about your dog:(

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
so sorry about goofy. I hope his treatment goes well. I live in terror of heart worms with my girls. I give Katie the lgd and emma the 14 year old mutt puppy both oral ivermec once a month but now have JJ who is an English shepherd and isn't suppose to have ivermec so i'm really concerned about her. I know you can test the collie types to see if they can have it but haven't been able to afford it yet.
do you still have your goats? see you have been on here as little as I have. hope all is well with you

Reactions: TAH

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Goofy has started treatment. He is doing great! The first treatment made him a little sick but he did fine. He likes AC and stays in the house a bit, but he's the same old goofy dog. I love that boy!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
The newest addition to my herd is doing really well. Bonzai has settled right in and has maybe bred two of my girls. The next five months will tell.