Question.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Had a batch of pups once and every time we came in to the room one would run and hide. We got rid of him when he started growling at us. Some animals just need culled. I don't think enough gets done.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our herding dogs are also our house dogs so they are multi-purpose. :)

My indoor dogs are also herding dogs...that don't herd. They did agility for awhile, now they just keep me company.

Their younger days.

upload_2017-12-11_18-14-59.jpeg

upload_2017-12-11_18-16-47.jpeg

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I want to get a puppy and was wondering... Do german shepherds bark a lot? Will they bark at neighbors that are jogging down the street? My min pin is like that. I really want a male german shepherd but I don't want a dog that constantly barks. I live in the country with chickens, horses, and my min pin
Yes German Shepherds bark a lot. They are bred to guard and they are alert to everything. I have owned German Shepherds for 20 years and only had one that rarely barked. He passed away in July at 13.
German Shepherds are high energy dogs with a strong prey drive and will need training. Some chase and kill cats or chickens. I have horses, goats, chickens and cats. And have peacefully lived with all along with my two GSD but did have cat chasing issues a few years ago. The dog that chased cats and tried to kill them never stopped that behavior so I had to watch him all the time. He did listen to me when I told him no but it took a lot of work and consistent training.
Maybe a Labrador retriever would be more what you’re looking for. My daughter has labs and they are low key and rarely bark. They don’t bother livestock and are just amazing family dogs.

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've heard it's best not to get a full grown dog because they can turn on you if you didn't raise them
That most certainly isn’t true. I adopted a Male German Shepherd from Ohio (I live in Oregon). He was 2 1-2 years old and had been abused and starved. He only weighed 56 pounds when the rescue got him.
I have family and friends in Ohio who knew my old dog had passed and they insisted I take this dog. Even had him shipped to me free. He loved the kids at first sight and everyone who comes here wants to take him home. Best. Dog. Ever.

Alaine Heivilin

Just born
Reaction score
I want to get a puppy and was wondering... Do german shepherds bark a lot? Will they bark at neighbors that are jogging down the street? My min pin is like that. I really want a male german shepherd but I don't want a dog that constantly barks. I live in the country with chickens, horses, and my min pin
I have raised German Shepards for over 20 years if you train them to bark at ever noise they will. Its all up to you. Puppies bark at the wind Germen Shapards normally don't bark at everything but they are very protective of there property. They can be agressive you have to start early and socialize them around people and other animals they will not be so noisy. I live in the country as well I have donkies and my shepard has run of 8 achers she stays home never leaves. I trainered her and worked with her. Good luck they are a good breed.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings & welcome to BYH @Alaine Heivilin Glad you joined us. Please take a moment if you will and visit the new member forum and give us a brief introduction so we can welcome you properly. :) https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/ Quite a few folks here have or have had German Shepherds. They can be wonderful dogs. Personally I think about all dogs are wonderful... can't comprehend how a person can live without one or two (or more) around at all times. Must admit though that I MUCH prefer larger dogs over little "toy" dogs. Anyway, browse around and make yourself at home! OH, couple of things... Please consider putting at least your general location in your profile as that can be very important regarding advice or suggestions. Things in cold climates can be different than in warm ones. Also, we all love pictures here so any time you feel like showing off your animals or farm... whatever, by all means feel free to do so! :thumbsup

Leah567

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We once did get a border collie mix from a shelter/rescue. We had her for no longer than three days and she vanished. If you don't keep up on ALL of the dogs shots, you have to go to court and explain why you didn't. I just don't want to deal with this. I was looking on craigslist but all the puppies cost more than $300. I can't pay more than that

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Any "new" dog you get, aside from an actual puppy, you'll have to watch over for a while until they bond and become part of the family. Even then, some dogs just love to wander and must be fenced in to keep on the property. As for the shots issue, that's going to be required no matter what really. Unless your dog does something to someone or leaves your property and gets caught, how is anyone going to know whether it got shots or not? I've never heard of a "dog gestapo" here in the US that goes around checking to make sure everyone's animals are properly inoculated... Getting the dog its shots is in the best interest of the dog and the people it will be in contact with. :hu

Leah567

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes.. I have the money to take good care of the dog and get its shots etc.. I just don't want to pay more than $300 for the puppy itself

Latest posts