Questions about milking sheep

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One of my katahdin ewes lambed in the beginning of this month. I started milking her a week after lambing and with one milking a day I am getting about 20 oz from her every morning. I feel like there is more in there but the emptier her udder is, the harder it is to milk so the lamb takes care of all that. I have been mixing it with my goat milk and using it to make cheese. Between my one nigerian who is lactating and the katahdin I get a little over 2 gallons a week and all that goes into one small wheel of cheese. I can't wait to try this cheese in a few months.

CPT Bluegrass

Just born
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I would be interested in milking sheep as well although I might get a goat for the purpose of doing so. Do goats and sheeps coincide well?

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have both and I think many people on here do. They get along well. I actually prefer the sheep, they are more well behaved and lower maintenance but dairy goats produce more milk and have a longer lactation than most sheep. Their milk is more versatile too, I prefer not to drink sheep milk because it's a little too fatty I think. I don't get enough to drink anyway so it all goes to cheese. In the future I may go with all sheep.