Questions About Raising Dairy Goats...

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have found that if you bottle feed the babies they are a lot more attached to you as adults! Its also a good idea to bottle feed the babies pasturized milk, wich is treated at 165 degrees to prevent mycoplasma and other diseases . In my experience when I downsize, and sell some of my babies people like it when the babies are more attached to humans, and know that they do not have any desieses from their mother. :) We have Nubians, and one Alpine doe. My favorite milk is from Nubians, because it is so rich and creamy. I have heard Nigerian dwark goat milk is really good as well! I hope this helped! :D Hsve fun with your Nigies!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:ya Hiya Sunny! Nice to see you on board!

So I was thinking about raising goats for their milk. I really like the Nigerian Dwarf Breed because of their size and I hear they produce a lot of milk compared to their size. My questions include:

1) What vaccines will the kids need?

Goats usually need their CDT (Clostrium C&D and Tetanus) annually as adults. Twice when they're kids. Very cheap and easy to do.

2) How many Nigerian Dwarfs for a family of four? We go through about 3 gallons of milk a week, and it would also be nice to have a little left over milk for making yogurt, ice cream ect.

Ask someone else. I have big goats. My guess is 1 quart per goat per day. Give or take.

3) Do you have to bottle feed the kids in order for them to be friendly?

Nope. Just spend time with them.

4) What is the diet of a Nigerian Dwarf Doe?

Same as regular goats. Hay, forage, some grain when in milk.

5) Should you pasterize the milk that you eat? Is there anything that could be transmitted from goat to human through the milk?

I pasteurize. Not everyone here does. If you do not, you have to keep your milking parlor spotless, clean up the udders, and generally be paranoid about being clean to avoid contamination by E. coli and other nasties. (You need to keep clean anyway). Yes, there are some diseases which can be passed through the milk. Tuberculosis, though rare, can occur. CL has been known to pass from raw milk, but very rare.

6) How often should you worm your does?

When they look like they need them. Not a strict schedule.

7) What do you need to do to the kids before selling? Like do you have to worm them ect.

I will sometimes vaccinate and worm them. Depending on age and condition.

That's all my questions for now, I am sure I may have more later though! ;)

Jeremy W

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We are going tomorrow to get a yearling Nubian Alpine cross how much milk can I expect to get ?

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on what lines she comes from. Alpines normally give around a gallon a day and Nubian's are the same. Ask how much the mom milks and that should give you a pretty good idea. Congrats on your soon to be goat.

Jeremy W

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the help hope to get plenty of milk for cheese and soap making and anything else I can make

Reactions: TAH

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Make sure the goat you're buying is "in milk"... If she isn't, then you'll be waiting a long time before you'll be making any cheese or anything else... The doe has to have a kid before she'll be making any milk and breeding for those breeds is ~ Aug-Dec, for kids born Jan-June-ish

Jeremy W

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I noticed you said breeding for is aug-dec is that the only time they will breed or can they breed all year?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The breed you're talking about is normally a fall breeder. Some other breeds like the Nigerian Dwarf can breed year round.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My question is, how do I determine if I'm buying a decent, healthy goat?

Insist on getting a copy of testing results. It is a good way to see that tests are being done, which tests are getting done, and any positive results. CL can be carried by a healthy looking goat. It is of paramount importance to have a healthy animal for food products and for the animal's happiness. it is heartbreaking to discover sickness after you and your family are attached and perhaps have to cull several of your animals because of it. NEVER take someone's word for health. (Unless you know them very well, personally and for a length of time.)

A good breeder will be happy to share and discuss the results. A good breeder is always interested to know that their animal is heading toward a good home that takes disease control seriously.

And it's great peace of mind when your animal falls ill... you needn't wonder if it has a disease that you've tested for. (In most cases. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule but I'm speaking in generalities.)

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
we worm once every 3 months with either ivermeck or safeguard (made for horses we just put it down to 100-150 ibs). [/QUOTE said:
Goats have a higher metabolism than horses and need a much higher dose per pound than horses do. I've never used horse dewormers on my goats, but that is what I have heard.