Questions.....

chickiemom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think this one is going to be ok. It doesn't even look like it was ever bleeding.

What about my other questions?

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Also this chick has a sibling that hatched 4 days and it's being mean to the new chick, like pecking it and jumping on it. Should I seperate them? How would I stop that?

I've never had them really pick on siblings... maybe @WVduckchick , @Ravyn , @Pyxis , @aart have some suggestions?

Also is it normal for chicks from the same brood to hatch that far apart, even if the eggs were laid only a day apart?

Could be a section of your incubator runs cooler? mine usually hatch within 24 hours of each other, rarely 48, never more.

I think this one is going to be ok. It doesn't even look like it was ever bleeding.

What about my other questions?

chickiemom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just don't understand why the first chick is doing that to the new one. I know he's been on his own for 3 days, but still....

This is our first time hatching. We really don't know anything about incubators. We never messed with it, except to turn the eggs. The temp fluctuates I've noticed, but it never drops below 99.3 degrees.

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just don't understand why the first chick is doing that to the new one. I know he's been on his own for 3 days, but still....
It's not unusual for chicks to peck at each other the first few days, they are exploring and use their beaks to do it. An overly aggressive chick can be put under a little mesh cage right in the brooder for a time out...works for me.

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That wasn't one of mine, so I don't know if it lived or not, but you're right, that is not the way they are supposed to look, though I have seen *much* worse.
Yeah, I know it wasn't yours....I too have seen much worse, most don't make it.

Have seen some pretty bloody ones hatch and be OK....always alarming to see bright blood trailing behind a newly emerged chick, but it happens, most are OK.

chickiemom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The little one won't even try to peck back. It just sits there. But their mom is a roundhead and she will fight our other chickens that are roundheads as well.

chickiemom08

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it wasn't yours....I too have seen much worse, most don't make it.

Have seen some pretty bloody ones hatch and be OK....always alarming to see bright blood trailing behind a newly emerged chick, but it happens, most are OK.

That would scare me!