Rabbit diagnosed with fungal infection

texcalkas

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The Giant Chinchilla buck I posted about earlier, who had raw, scaly patches on his hindquarters was taken to the vet today and his fur floresced (glowed when a blue light was shined on it). Whatever this is does not look like typical ringworm and we are not going to culture it to see exactly what we are dealing with. I am to apply a topical medicine and adopt a wait and see attitude. Have any of you dealt with fungal infections of any type in your rabbits? Were your treatments successful? How long did you treat them before throwing in the towel?

When I got back this morning I broke down his cage, washing it thoroughly with a solution the vet gave me (chlorine-based), cleaned out all the poop and hair, scrubbed the frame the cage was resting on and will tackle the back wall later. The cage is now in full sun so really, all the disinfecting I could do has been done. I am going to isolate him totally away from the other rabbits. I will also be disinfecting the puppy pens I let the rabbits run in. What I cannot do is dig up all the dirt...this is where the fungus came from. The vet said, and confirmed what I already felt, for him to get sick from this, he had to be immunocompromised already. So, now it's up to me to provide him the healthiest food and environment as possible. If he recovers I betcha his show career is over 'cause if the hair grows back in it's going to look terrible.

Whoever said raising rabbits was easy had never done it!

texcalkas

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Update: The hair loss is continuing, despite treatment and now the skin looks painfully irritated. I'm giving him one more week than will probably have him put down. Even if he recovers, I'll never be able to show him and would be afraid he would infect my other rabbits if he were near them. Sure wish there was more information about rabbit health issues online. I haven't found anything at all that looks like what he's got.

texcalkas

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Update #2: I'm getting him in for a 2nd opinion tomorrow since he is not responding to treatment at all. I watched him grooming what he could reach of his back, which explains the hair loss pattern, so the itching must be horrible. If vet #2 does not know what this is, or doesn't think there's any hope for him, I'll have him put down. Poor guy...

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about this! Do you have any pictures? I hope the second vet has some ideas and maybe you can work out a new treatment!

adorable

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
are you sure he dosnt have fur mites. Or he can be allergic to something.