TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Are your rabbits in hutches or hanging wire cages? In a barn or in the open? Reason I ask is because chickens can do a great job of composting for you. They will eat dropped Feed, fly larva, scratch and keep it turned. Dig it out as needed and put on the garden.

If in a barn, you can add on a chicken coop. If in outdoor hutches, run a fence around them and connect to the coop.
They are in a set-up similar to hanging wire cages. I'm thinking of posting about my hutches when I get a new one built. Chickens could definitely get to the rabbit poop but.... we dont have any chickens right now :( I want some laying hens really bad though

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Are your rabbits in hutches or hanging wire cages? In a barn or in the open? Reason I ask is because chickens can do a great job of composting for you. They will eat dropped Feed, fly larva, scratch and keep it turned. Dig it out as needed and put on the garden.

If in a barn, you can add on a chicken coop. If in outdoor hutches, run a fence around them and connect to the coop.
when those rabbits of mine were small I've used hanging wire cages. I just get the manure and sprinkle it to the soil. yes... I agree... It's a very very good compost.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've done a little research and I know from experience that rabbit manure makes an excellent fertilizer- and can be spread fresh since it's not "hot". We spread it on our little 1/4 acre corn garden this summer and had EXCELLENT results with our crop. Since I raise rabbits and I'm expanding my operation, I might as well make something out of my manure since it's not really doing anything for me right now. Does anyone have any tips for composting? I'll definitely mix in organic food matters and maybe horse manure- that also is a good fertilizer (again, I know from experience) but it must be composted or it will burn plants.
Thanks!
Taylor
It is more than proven, Rabbit manure is an excellent fertilizer, That's what was used for our gardens, It doesn't smell, it's very small and easy to apply. and most importantly, it's free... those rabbits are naturally poop machines. :D

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've done a little research and I know from experience that rabbit manure makes an excellent fertilizer- and can be spread fresh since it's not "hot". We spread it on our little 1/4 acre corn garden this summer and had EXCELLENT results with our crop. Since I raise rabbits and I'm expanding my operation, I might as well make something out of my manure since it's not really doing anything for me right now. Does anyone have any tips for composting? I'll definitely mix in organic food matters and maybe horse manure- that also is a good fertilizer (again, I know from experience) but it must be composted or it will burn plants.
Thanks!
Taylor
For additional growing power, add some rabbit dung to the compost pile. Composting rabbit manure is an easy process and the end result will be the ideal fertilizer for garden plants and crops. Simply add your rabbit manure to the compost bin or pile and then add in equal amounts of straw and wood shavings...

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks!
Taylor
Not really common here in the Philippines since we don't have a lot of rabbits, but the market actually has a lot of them for sale. But I bet they are extremely effective since they eat plants/veggies commonly.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks!
Taylor
That is a good topic and I really agree, But one of my rabbits died because of unknown causes, I hope this can be solved. :(:(:(

CraftyHen

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
IMG_20191022_183237.jpg
Here's my compost set-up. Its next to garden, which is next to rabbit barn and chicken coops. Rabbit and Bird poop, bedding, garden scraps that the animals don't eat, coffee grounds, spent grains from hubby (home brewed beer)...it goes into far right section. Gets turned as needed and when it is about 1/2 way broken down, it gets turned/moved into the section to immediate left. Once it reaches the last section it's wheeled directly into garden.
Since my rabbits are housed inside a structure w/concrete floor, I use dropping pans and fashioned poop screens to rest on top. The poop stays dry and goes into a dedicated poop tote bin. It gets used all over the place, garden, flower beds, yard in general. Extra is sold. The pans have pine shavings in them to counter the pre smell. That is what goes on compost heap, along with any poop that is swept up.

CraftyHen

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
IMG_20191022_183012.jpg
In fall I cover garden on compost and all the dry rabbit poop I have. By time snow melts in spring it's a layer of beautiful dirt
😄

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
View attachment 70736
Here's my compost set-up. Its next to garden, which is next to rabbit barn and chicken coops. Rabbit and Bird poop, bedding, garden scraps that the animals don't eat, coffee grounds, spent grains from hubby (home brewed beer)...it goes into far right section. Gets turned as needed and when it is about 1/2 way broken down, it gets turned/moved into the section to immediate left. Once it reaches the last section it's wheeled directly into garden.
Since my rabbits are housed inside a structure w/concrete floor, I use dropping pans and fashioned poop screens to rest on top. The poop stays dry and goes into a dedicated poop tote bin. It gets used all over the place, garden, flower beds, yard in general. Extra is sold. The pans have pine shavings in them to counter the pre smell. That is what goes on compost heap, along with any poop that is swept up.
Oh. I have to tell you. Chickens love that beer grain. They prefer that over regular feed. We only give them a little at a time as a treat. But they love it! We get it from the local brewery for the pigs ducks chickens garden etc