Rabbit not drinking

MrsFarley

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My lip eared bunny is not drinking. I noticed about about a week ago that his fur felt coarse. Then he seemed to be sleeping more and lethargic. Today he hasn’t eaten or drank any water. I’ve even put carrots and lettuce in his cage.

MrsFarley

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He has a litter box. Don’t know if he is pooping. He’s been in the litter box for 4 hours now.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I get a bunny that isn't drinking I add white corn syrup to the water. Add enough to make the water sweet. You need to get him drinking. As a rule if a rabbit isn't drinking then he isn't eating.

If he isn't eating try tempting him with rose leaves or carrot tops. At that point getting him to eat is more important that what he is eating. Once he starts eating put him back on his regular food.

Good luck with your little fellow. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I add a little pineapple juice to their water to appeal to their sweet tooth, sometimes that will help.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Other tempting exotic plants are the weeds you can find in your yard. Texas should have plenty of those.
He is better today. Eating and drinking from a bowl, not the bottle. I syringe fed him last night, purées veggies and water. He was so listless. I didn’t think he would be alive today. But a pleasant surprise! He is fine!
:celebrate:weee:celebrate

Latest posts