rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you check the zoning on the 10 acres? Some zoning is peculiar and even with acreage wn;t et you keep animals. Make sure that animal keeping is a contingency.
It's agricultural. It's in the "agricultural reserve" where the county basically decided "we will not develop this, agriculture here" and put very dense development everywhere else. It's technically unincorporated and we can have stock animals and people have cattle there. That's one reason we had to hurry to move quickly. There are only so many houses in the agricultural reserve and the minimum lot size is something like 25 acres. This one was subdivided off before the rules so it's nicer for us. I think agriculture is slowly dying there because profit margins are shrinking, but there is still "parkland" they try to rent out to farmers to crop. They'll probably sell that off before they go to war with the residents.

I still wanted Bowling Green Ohio or another area beside a university town in the Midwest, but hopefully this will work. It's more Agro-tourismy than I wanted, that's for sure.

Maybe you won’t have to move again for a very long time.
Thank you. That's a very comforting thought. A good 9-10 years would be nice. DH's company isn't one that's known for stability though (everything hinges on the quality of your manager and director) so if we get to 9 pleasant years it will be a blessing. He's not changing teams, at least.

Last edited:

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I once heard someone say Nobody ever gets to the end of their life and looks back and thinks “Gosh I wish I had spent more time at work when my kids were little”.
🤦 I just told my boss the "work is my sane zone". I LOVE, LOVE my kids but I can only handle all 3 in limited amounts.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
🤦 I just told my boss the "work is my sane zone". I LOVE, LOVE my kids but I can only handle all 3 in limited amounts.
Gee, I don't know anything about that. I definitely don't escape 2x daily to get away from my crazy nuts (I mean beautiful little angels) and milk for an hour+ every day no matter how many goats I have to milk or not milk to restore my sanity. Work would pay better. ;)

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ladies, I hear you. We had 5 kids. The youngest 4 spread out over only 7 years. I remember I had occasional rare evenings where I got to go in my room with the door shut while Daddy took care of everything. All other times, I was on duty 24/7. But now, they are all grown and living far away.I can have all the “me” time I want. I can’t believe how fast it went. You can’t get it back, so make the most of it while you’ve got it. Then you will have awesome adults in your life, even if it’s long distance. Can’t remember where else I was going with this…🤷🏼‍♀️