rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Made no progress on the fence today. Instead I cut down a mid sized yew tree growing in what would be the pen. Somehow I thought they were only trees in their native land. Silly me.

It looks like our property used to be a cleared area fenced with barbed wire on one side. On the boundary there was a tree that "ate" the wire. Maybe it had pine trees before, as they are human dwarfing, but I'm not so sure. Aw well, maybe someday when the mortgage is paid off we'll clear it.( I will do my best to fence it before then for safety's sake.)
This entry needs pictures.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes it DOES need pictures :D
I've found the perimeter of the fields from days long past the same way. Really rusty brittle barbed wire several inches into the side of trees, laying on the ground "attached" to a rotted post, on the ground, no post. 3 strand. Find a piece and start lifting and a whole lot of leaves and dirt move out of the way as the wire comes up. Gotta be careful where I walk and I'm sure not going out there without shoes.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_20200401_221220567.jpg

Here's a picture. You can walk in the woods, but it's going to cost you. Pulled a bunch off my clothes on the way back and 6 or 7 off the white dog that didn't make it into the dish soap jar. These guys crawled out of my shed clothes onto the white hot tub (the only thing I know for a fact it works for) or I pulled them off my skin. The rest of the pictures will have to wait. Kill ALL the ticks!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The good news is that they don't appear to be thick in the yard or on our side of the ditch/creek this year. I think the dog is keeping the deer and critters out of the immediate area and maybe we're getting a BIT of a decline. And the ducks and silkies I guess are working and soon we'll have a bunch of normal chickens out too.

I'm afraid I've got to go out in the woods eventually, otherwise I can't make any changes to the woods. I'll permethrin a set of clothes and that does help-one or two ticks instead of almost a dozen (yeah, I found a few more after that photo, but nothing bit luckily).

Latest posts