rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
She started improving yesterday. Yesterday morning her breathing was less impeded and it sounded like there was a lot of loose something in her sinuses rattling around as she breathed. By evening the mouth breathing was gone and she was less loud. At midnight when my husband went to check on her breathing had quieted down a lot and this morning she is getting her voice back and her nostrils are not flared as she breathes. I have no idea what was up in her throat and nose causing her so much grief but I think that maybe maybe *knock on wood* she will pull through. Yesterday wa a good goat day.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
First egg of the year. The silkies at about 6 months are less slackers now.
IMG_20200515_140515463.jpg

Tiny chickens still lay tiny eggs, in case you are wondering.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sold the white and fawn buckling, listed Sugar and Ginger and updated the other bottle buckling's ad. Fingers crossed.

Summer got her next antibiotic dose. She needs to put on some muscle she lost in her rear, but her sides have filled out. Her tummy is full again.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Crated up remaining extra cockerels. They've been outing each other from the coop and raping pullets. Well, we know how to fix rapist animals here on the farm. Roasted or fried, maybe pressure cooked. 8 males to go.

Then I get to do the hard job of sorting ducks and picking a keeper drake or two depending on how many ducks I've got. This is made more complicated by the fact that they all look the same, with minor build differences-slightly annoying. Darn pekins. Yummy though. Fast growing too. The next batch I do should be processed or sold by 8 weeks (remember that, dummy Rachel?). I think silkies might be able to hatch a few duck eggs if I facilate it. BIG EGGS for little broody hens. My last silkie loved big duck eggs.