rachels.haven's Journal

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
No problem. And when I say they have trouble with the cold, I don't mean you can't keep them in cold areas. Mine are in Massachusetts, after all. They just sometimes need a warm, dry stall or a blanket if below 10 and their coat is unimpressive.
I see. My friend has Nubian goats and they also need a warm barn. My little goats wintered really good in a covered pen and insulated dog house. I have a Fainting goat Doe and Fainting/Nigerian Dwarf wether.
I bought new babies but they don't apply to winter yet.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does this look like a good chainsaw for emergencies and small weekend warrior type projects? The last storm made me realize we are stupid not to have a simple one we know for sure works. One of the neighbors got blocked out to the road and he attacked the huge tree with this type of chainsaw and got it reduced enough to move so his hybrid could pass (in his road bike uniform). It wasn't a huge chainsaw, but it wasn't tiny either and it was definitely electric.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does this look like a good chainsaw for emergencies and small weekend warrior type projects?
Seems reasonable from the questions and answers but I have to wonder how they sell the saw and a 5.0AH battery for $319 ($349 after this month) or the saw only for $253 when they charge $249 for the 5.0 AH battery by itself. The bigger 7.5 AH battery is $349. The reviews are mainly positive.

Cheese pressing in two stages.
Did you buy the cheese press tools as a kit or single pieces? ;)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you buy the cheese press tools as a kit or single pieces? ;)
Unfortunately separate. The pan was bought shortly after our marriage because I couldn't cook on non-stick (only cast iron, darn it) and the dutch oven is brand new...and having it drop and shatter definitely crossed my mind.

We will probably get that chainsaw then (more stewing must follow though-pricy). I don't like being trapped in our driveway and there are a few more behimoths set to fall soon.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will probably get that chainsaw then (more stewing must follow though-pricy)
Yep, the battery ones are expensive. Stihl makes one that costs far more. I guess the up side of the battery saw is very little maintenance and very easy to start ;) Still need to put bar oil in it and sharpen the chain but not much can go wrong with an electric motor. On the flip side, my Echo Timberwolf was $399 at the local dealer, figured I'd rather buy it from someone that can service it rather than Home Depot. Plus they are 5 miles away, HD is over 30. It is a beast, far more than one would need for the occasional storm downed tree.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to get me a Count the Lamancha replacement buckling. Lace's breeder has Count's sister, Little Orchard CD Hot Shot. She crossed her with Rustic Woods JH Legend, who is a Jen-mae-ka-kids, lucky*stars, Kastdemur's buck with a good udder history and good feet. He looks promising as a baby, and not too front heavy. I'm going to grow him out and give him a try. Saffy's doelings needs a mate next year.

Meanwhile, someone is coming to look at Count tomorrow. They've come from far away and will probably take him for his lines.
One of Ava's bucklings are also going tomorrow.

Last edited:

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if we could use that kind of set up more. Dry dirt floors and ventilation are good for goat health.
This year everyone will have access to my totally insulted and vented Coop. It's big enough for 4 goats. 8X12 Shed we converted. Floor is insulated also and covered in flooring. Rigged up for heat too. My chickens lived like queens and kings.
My husband built it like Fort Knox. 👍
Last winter my kids were definitely okay but I just need a warmer set up.

Last edited: