rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
This doe is coming with him. I'm very excited about her too. They are penmates so they should keep eachother company in transport.

Trinka.png

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
This buck is also coming here from Derry, Nh. He is a diluted Count Chocula line (the lamancha buck I sold). The sire is more traditional type lamancha. The dam is Count's half sister. She has very good teat placement and a splendid udder and should be excellent. Sire's udder line is nice as well.
If we move Buggy/Rustic Woods Black Tie Affair's previous owner would like him back, so I needed to replace him and Count. Two bucks per breed are ideal. Plus, I'm still not sure about this nigerians as a dairy breed thing...When my time goes short I occasionally wish I did not have them...but the milk is incredibly rich even if they tend to have a terrible lactation curve and produce little but take just as much of my time to produce it. Also, they are spicy goats, especially compared to the laid back, people pleasing lamanchas (that produce GALLONS as opposed to cups).
Max.png

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need a less pregnant lamancha buck. He is too round to want to reach up. He's plenty tall. Buck pregnancies last forever though...
Maybe the new guys will help when they come out.
And yes, I do tie Lace's feet down. She takes all she can get and waits for the opportunity. We'll see how this plays out. I may need to tighten her up a bit. I'll win. It just shouldn't have to be war. I'm surprised it's come to this.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot. Here are Bailey's bald spots. She has one on both sides. The more I brush the farther up and down they go. There's a lot of long topline hair covering it, but it's there. The hair appears dead and wants to come out so she's just going to have to look funny. Her skin is happy though ànd no itching. Kind of putting off brushing her as it makes the backyard look like I'm torturing a dog regularly and her appearance doesnt help that image.
IMG_20200617_080108806.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not at all up on goat lines and all but didn't @One Fine Acre have some goats with the "Black Tie" breeding? They don't post much. But they used to show and would post how things were going. Also miss the posts from @Southern by choice and @Goat Whisperer ... even though I don't have goats, I enjoyed reading about some of their comings and goings and all.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll go check. Black Tie is the Buck's formal name, his herd name is Rustic Wood's but I wouldn't mind journal hopping later today.

Oh dear. This is the week the 90's are supposed to start and last night we just started hearing rats in the wall behind our bed. Getting ready for baked rotting carcass smell. It gets VERY hot in the void behind the wall and in the attic void. I wish we could find and block where they are coming in.

This house may be grand, but times like these make me wish it was tighter even if it were smaller. We really only needed a normal sized house, but with a property we were allowed to farm, and all houses available then we as grand or grander than this. Our last house was too small at 840 SQ feet for 4 people. This one is 3x the size a least. Not sure if finished basement is included. We leave most of it empty and clean. We just live here. With Soon to be dead rats in the walls apparently. Yuck.

Oh well, maybe the rats will leave, lol. right!

I found a baby mouse that escaped the heat of the hay loft yesterday and was laying out in the sun dehydrating in the middle of the floor. It's ears and eyes were shut. I started feeding/drowning it in goat milk and put it in a toned down 80 degrees dying incubator and it filled up on milk and and revived somewhat. It may still die or be fed to the cats, but I'm interested in trying. It was still doing well at 2am when the rats were partying/chewing the walls.