rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lace asking in.jpg

LET ME IN. I'm done eating and finished here. -Lace, beautiful butthead.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this a good deal? This would be an experiment. No big pigs wanted here, as last time I got any major exposure to pigs I was reacting to something in that tent at that fair. It could have been alfalfa hay, or alpacas, or it could have been (most likely have been) pigs, but I'll never know if I don't try it.

You are asking US? The Biggest group of enablers on the internet? YES! go get one! Heck-fire, get TWO!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now they want me to replace her with a healthy, not beat up one, one because their drake, that they got ducks for because he was raping chickens, beats her up without mating her and he is beating her into the ground and beyond submission and is going to kill her.
Well THAT is certainly a reasonable request! :th
Yes, some people are really stupid.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I politely called her bluff and told her she was full of it she gave in and said she was going to try "drake jail" for a "timeout" instead of another duck to kill since I wasn't going to give her one. I wanted to tell her she should go with the big butcher knife, but I'm still trying to NOT be my mother and instead I opted to end our conversation. That whole interaction did not impress me with any overall brightness. I will be avoiding responding to her again if she reaches out again. She's got a bad drake, and that's not my problem. If she offs him, she could still have at least 3 young layer ducks giving her massive eggs every day. If she does not, she will only have two, and he may just move onto another when his current mark is dead because the problem is in the drake's head/hormones (the fact drake moved his focus from her chicken hens to the new duck and he apparently couldn't even try to get along or display normal drake or anything behavior is more evidence of that) .

It does take a certain amount of honesty with what ducks are in order to keep ducks. They look cute and are smiling but aren't really pets. She appeared to want to treat them like children...rapey, abusive, violent children? New duck because the "problem child" in her eyes rather than the drake who had already been causing the issue that she bought the ducks for. Stupid. I'm glad I'm not her dog, much less her child.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Picked up a box of ducklings early this morning for DS#2. Buffs and blue swedish from McMurray. One duckling was bald and deformed and very dead despite only being in shipping for 2 days-made the whole Post Office smell like rotten eggs and workers were not happy, and neither was I. Got refunded for the one, but still confused how a bald and deformed duckling got shipped. I haven't seen one of those except for once one of my friends did a hatch and they had a baldy and it only lived a few days despite pampering because it was "special". If my duckling was alive when shipped it was doomed at hatch and I'm surprised they'd include a bald and deformed one. I may have to switch hatcheries if they just ship everything even if it's missing feathers.
Gross morning. But 10 of my 11 are alive and healthy.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last night in the wee hours of the morning something that can bark, big, but not as big as our Bailey came down from somewhere and barked with our dog nearby our property. It could have been another dog, which is what it sounded like, as we have had a new neighbor and Bay has been using her "summoning" bark to call neighbor dogs for backup lately after something wanders through and something may have gotten loose and answered. It could have also been a coyote, as it is getting into fall, but I like the dog story better and she didn't sound angry. I really need to get that dog a friend. I think even a house dog for daytime hangouts would do. She just needs canine company.

Out of hay today. My favorite hay guy is almost out of first, which never happens, and warning me about having very little second coming out. I think I'm going to get 9 bales of first from him and see if the feed store has scrounged up and trucked in some second yet. $11/bale isn't pretty, but no hay is even worse.

Darn. Looking at craigslist for hay is uninspiring.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Logically speaking, if I don't want any more does out of her, as soon as the antibiotic with drawl on her milk is done she should be listed.
You may have already doe this, but here is my opinion -
If you don't like her type, build, attitude, mothering ability, or milking ability - time to cull her and all her kids. Heavy thick dairy animals seldom produce as much milk as the more angular dairy animals. They may look like they have nice full udders, but it is usually because they have what are called "meaty" udders. Meaty udders and meaty dairy animals should be removed from your herd if you are breeding for milk production. If you don't like her and she produces her own type and personality, get rid of her. Take the entire lot to the auction.

Latest posts