rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You got it right the first time, @Senile_Texas_Aggie . Our first kid has an inborn desire to stop and think and make sure things are not too messy and are a good idea despite his higher energy level and our second one throws caution to the wind at the slightest provocation and yesterday shut himself in the laundry room and quietly spun himself around and around in the washer for a good five minutes while we searched for him (washer door open, not running)-and that's a big deal because I usually have an eye on that kid at all times. I think he'll probably be a little less dangerous when covid ends and he can go to kindergarten and watch other kids and see they're not all racoons. Dan is also wicked smart, but needs more physical common sense when it comes to application. Things seem to work better in his five year old head than they do when he puts them into practice in reality, mainly safety-wise. He's five. He should grow out of it hopefully.

The beach seemed like a good idea because "taking it easy at home" with these guys is just as stressful (and sometimes more) than taking them to a place that they can use their energy and explore. They DID go to bed, right on time too and Aiden didn't get up until 4:30 instead of 3. I think he needed more beach time, lol.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunday is goat day, so I did an attempt at braised goat shank and deboned it for the kids. After deboning and hiding the carrots it looked like this.

Braised goat with carrots and tom paste.jpg

And here's dinner waiting for people. I made a lot of meat and rice so we'll probably have it for tomorrow too. I tried to get nice lettuce to get the kids to eat it last shopping. I think it's great! The kids saved me lots. Luckily I hid those carrots decently well. They thickened the sauce/gravy too. Apparently carrots are starchy. And yep, my does are dry now, so the cow milk has come back. I wanted to give them a break after the coccidia issue we had.
pretend fancy dinner.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
And as a sort of related side note, apparently there are bears VERY nearby over the NH border killing and eating goats in at least two different locations this weekend (???who declared buffet?), so I drove the bucks into their little barn pen from their own pen so Bailey can guard them better. The baby bucks who are living in the barn pen are NOT happy about this, but I don't want my bucks eaten. NH is going after the bears. If it happened in Mass I doubt they would do anything so I need to try to cover my own bases the best that I can.
Word on the street is that guns don't work, dogs don't work, only electric is working, which is just greattttt. I think hibernation is supposed to start at the latest mid December (assuming they don't skip this year like they supposedly have before?). The bucks will be spending the nights at the barn until then, I guess.

Time to stand train the lamancha bucklings while they're up here, I guess. Pffft.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my dairy farmers had a neighbor get a black bear the other day....bow season is in.... 250 lbs so good sized. I like wildlife in general, but there are just too many now that are too close to the general population of people.... and we keep encroaching on their habitat.... and they are getting very adaptable. Hope that you can keep the goats safe.