rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bigger buck pen is done(6+ by 6 panels) and hot to keep Mr Fence Hopping Meanie Buck in (assuming he ever tries again after he hurt his leg last time, he seemed a lite crushed at the time). Now for those cinder blocks.

Sold some milk.
The Guinea Hog Man was one buyer. He didn't tell me earlier but he says some people have difficulty keeping their pigs in the pen. That hasn't been my experience. We had one piglet that for a few weeks after arrival it kept getting out then wanted back in so we'd just pick it up and put it back and it would stay(3 times). Now everyone stays even when a certain goat that likes biting hot electric fences eats the lead wire and kills the fence...
Thank you, derpy goat. Her name means "freedom". I guess she thinks the pigs need freedom too.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today I castrated a 6 week old runty, while footed guinea hog boar that I didn't want to use for breeding. It was...
1) A "great" bonding experience with my dad?
(Jk, we're both traumatized and a little more deaf, I'm sure)
2) necessary, and will be done in the first week next time.
And yes, the spotted boar is cryptorchid. He did not have visible double butt until about a month ago and now he is too late to do. That apparently is one of the forms in pigs. We'll be taking our chance with boar taint on him, but not the little guy. I did it right, but man, I can't help but wonder if I traumatized the pig to death. I mean, he was walking around after, but I took his equipment...

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The big spotted guy is a mutt. He was supposed to be kunekune. He's got waddles and is under 100 lbs...so...kune? w/long nose and mane/crest and bad attitdue. I only castrated the little AGH I didn't want to breed, but if I could restrain Mr. Spots I would totally do him. He's a little dangerous. Hope he's tasty. The little newly barrow is doing great. I'll remember the lack of taint thing later. The AGH farmer I got the sow from said to cut them. I'll have to find out what exactly is strictly necessary later.

Anyway, went to Clarksville for cinderblocks and for my husbands endless quest to get a hot sam's club hotdog (cafe is always closed, lol). We got a tennessee typhoon, the blocks, and firehouse subs/a salad. Lots of driving for $10 of blocks but we got them.

There is a road going in on the other side of the fence behind the shop and down our whole property line. They're draining the property too. Looks like we're getting a housing development right as the market starts declining.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dang! Move many many hundreds of miles out to the country only to have the suburb move in next door. What are the odds they complain about the nearby farms.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Make sure you move the pig pen closer to that side, so they get a nice welcome to the country smell.
Conveniently (unfortunately?) it's already there. And anyone who moves in will get a 1st row ticket to the all male caprine birds and bees every rut (and sometimes times in between).

Dang! Move many many hundreds of miles out to the country only to have the suburb move in next door. What are the odds they complain about the nearby farms.
When he works for a major online retailer, development follows him.
Although this time is a little annoying. His whole team left Nashville to other parts of the country and the entire team went remote. Majority of the team went back to Seattle. Yet STILL the city swells and spills over.
The world does not need more McMansions and exurbs out in the pastures and crop fields. They need high density housing next to shopping centers, places of work, and schools. But that doesn't look good or make maximum tax revenue, so mcmansions it is.
We're going to stick it out as long as possible. We are STILL agriculturally zoned.