rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
No casualties again. I sprayed the goats with permethrin and stuck them out in the pens to go eat until it rained hard. Then we had a "running of the goats" to get bucks and does in from the rain. Everyone is fat, happy, and fast motion chewing cud.
I did have to worm today as a follow up from my last worming 10 days ago-everyone had gotten paler than I realized so I went in and did it, and usually when I use Eprinex if I don't follow up they wind up wormy again in a couple weeks. New microscope is coming. New browsing pens will help. Why eat grass when you can eat forests? They will be fine now.

Learned the right way to use safegaurd recently, which HAS worked for me the one time I've used it, despite not using it right, but next time they need it I will use it right and see what happens. Chickens need some of it too. A few are showing signs of gape worm, so if they can hold out I will treat at next coop shoveling. The pen and grass in general is so slug and snail infested I knew that was coming. Kneeling on a giant lunker slug in the dark is gross, btw, and I do it a lot. Helping me wash my pants more, I guess. No barefoot over there (plus, the ticks...). I am so glad I don't want to eat those. :sick

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds to me that ya need a few ducks...2-3....khaki campbells can take care of those slugs, snails, and ticks for ya if they area is large more would be better....they are a great companion animal for the goats....they even chase, catch, and eat biting flies.....the slugs and snails are carriers of parasites that will affect the goats.....they are really easy keepers, after the brooding stage....not a heavy pellet or grain feeder, if forage is available they will find what they need.....:)

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
What @CntryBoy777 said,..... he talked me into getting some, not only do they do everything that he said they would....eat bugs etc. .....they are way too funny to watch with themselfs and the goats and fluffy butt chicks....now that they are settled they eat with the goats and come to greet me when I go out to the goat yard they definitely are the funniest duck I have ever watched ! And their eggs taste great :highfive:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
They sure are. I know, I used to breed ducks. Apparently I was too good at keeping them alive. We'd go from 4 to 60 in a matter of a few months then back down again as I sold them and butchered them and tried to fight the growing population. Husband has said no ducks here. No khaki's, no muscovy, no pekins, no other breeds, and no geese. He's not usually that adamant about what I do, but he is this time, and I can respect this one thing. Plus, I like everything about them but the eggs and poop-and that's a lot of eggs and a lot of poop.

However, they'd also work wonders on the japanese beetle, tick, and horse/deer fly population. And not many hawks will pick on a 15 lbs drake. I am VERY partial to muscovy. I like my drakes, and the more carnuckles the better (provided the eyes are clear, it's cruel otherwise). And they are quiet.

I'd like to focus on chickens, goats, and gardening living here if possible. If I have to I could switch chickens out with coturnix quail if I can not keep chickens safe enough, but I would rather not. I dislike them.

And that's the only thing my husband has put his foot down on in 7 years of marriage. No duckers.

QUACK-quack-quackquackquack.