rachels.haven's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Missy and Sophie are still dogs and quite content, rescue dogs name is also Sophie and then there is magnificent Mel.....Four :) three dogs and a magnificent creature named Mel .....not that I have any favorites :)...:flypig
OK, so when you say you have 2 dogs, you mean 2 that were "rescued"?
I'm sure Mel won't tell the others that you have a favorite ;)

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, so when you say you have 2 dogs, you mean 2 that were "rescued"?
I'm sure Mel won't tell the others that you have a favorite ;)

Missy i bought as a puppy, Sophie was a CL rescue, Sophie #2 is a temporary rescue foster dog and magnificent Mel, ...my heart dog :love...not tha I have a favorite :oops:
So technically, I have two dogs and a magnificent creature...three plus a foster rescue

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bailey did good the first night on guard. The goats are mostly okay with her and seem to be getting attached, so I think they'll stay close to her.

Saturday, Bailey's first day here period was rough because of T-storms. Sunday (yesterday) I don't seem to remember any thunder so I left her out. Today and this evening we've had more typhoon-like storms here complete with thunder. Dog is back under the table pretending she's not there.

My standard goat, Saffron, still wants to kill the dog so I've had to call her off Bailey a few times. Thank goodness both dog and that particular goat are responsive to verbal reprimands. The goat rams the dog enough times and the dog tries to tell her to knock it off in dog, which is what the goat wants, which becomes war. I love Saffron, and she can be stupid but this is really dumb, uncharacteristic behavior. I'm suspicious this could be a sign the goat is going into heat. The two fights we've had have always been near the shared buck fence. Not sure though. The dog does not want to hurt her. She wants Saffron to stop smashing her at that moment. I think we'll have this resolved in a few days. Today was better than yesterday, and better than the day before when everyone just ran around in a blind panic while the dog laid there or lumbered around the edge of the pen. Saffron was raised with LGD s(and a LGD puppy was the one that ripped her udder and left her with a damaged teat, hmm...) but she was friends with the ones she was penned with at her other home.

Saffron has also recently declared herself herd queen, but does not have the brains or disposition for it. Her violence might also have something to due with that (for instance, in order to control all the alfalfa pellets and get the most, she LAYS on the ground in front of the feeders so none of the nigerians can get any. Not very herd queeny and more lazy piggish. Herd queens would smash the other suckers away with relish, imo. She is also clingy to people and panics if routine is broken.) We will work this out either way.

Mr. Coyote has NOT come back and I feel safer even if I still haven't heard any barking. I also got my gun safety class done with DH. Now I get to go schedule an interview with the police for half an hour and get printed and background checked (and pay ANOTHER $100 for each of us). After getting that done in 2-4 weeks I can go buy a gun. Still going back and forth between a .22 american rimfire (Dad's suggestion for a .22) or a Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun in .410 (my dad's first recommendation, who says it will punch the right sized hole despite being smaller). I joked about getting both (way too expensive, especially after licensing costs) because they are two different tools that can serve different purposes.

We'll work everything out. Bottom line is, things are going well with the dog. She's fitting in great. I've just got to get my big, sweet oaf goat to improve her behavior towards her.

Btw, on a side note, we are not having a dry year at all. It's super humid, super hot (regularly in the 90's?), raining every day, maybe every other day, and my goats keep winding up pale, so I ordered some ingredients to mix to add herbal deworming into the picture, and I'm going to keep on with the conventional wormers and fecals (and I just ordered a new conventional wormer to use, as Ivermectin, Safeguard, and Eprinex all used correctly seem to just have rebounds after 3 weeks routinely, even after doing it then repeating 10 days later). I'm starting to feel like I'm in the south. I wonder if next year will be drier.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Missy i bought as a puppy, Sophie was a CL rescue, Sophie #2 is a temporary rescue foster dog and magnificent Mel, ...my heart dog :love...not tha I have a favorite :oops:
So technically, I have two dogs and a magnificent creature...three plus a foster rescue
This suspiciously sounds like chicken math....I have 10 laying hens, 1 rooster, 1 hen went broody and hatched 7 chicks. I have 26 eggs in the incubator that are hatching now. I have 50 meat CCX, but they don't count because I am going to slaughter them. Oh, I have 8 old layers, but they don't count because they don't lay any more. the chicks don't count because they aren't chickens yet, plus I plan on selling some...….

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bailey did good the first night on guard. The goats are mostly okay with her and seem to be getting attached, so I think they'll stay close to her.

Saturday, Bailey's first day here period was rough because of T-storms. Sunday (yesterday) I don't seem to remember any thunder so I left her out. Today and this evening we've had more typhoon-like storms here complete with thunder. Dog is back under the table pretending she's not there.

My standard goat, Saffron, still wants to kill the dog so I've had to call her off Bailey a few times. Thank goodness both dog and that particular goat are responsive to verbal reprimands. The goat rams the dog enough times and the dog tries to tell her to knock it off in dog, which is what the goat wants, which becomes war. I love Saffron, and she can be stupid but this is really dumb, uncharacteristic behavior. I'm suspicious this could be a sign the goat is going into heat. The two fights we've had have always been near the shared buck fence. Not sure though. The dog does not want to hurt her. She wants Saffron to stop smashing her at that moment. I think we'll have this resolved in a few days. Today was better than yesterday, and better than the day before when everyone just ran around in a blind panic while the dog laid there or lumbered around the edge of the pen. Saffron was raised with LGD s(and a LGD puppy was the one that ripped her udder and left her with a damaged teat, hmm...) but she was friends with the ones she was penned with at her other home.

Saffron has also recently declared herself herd queen, but does not have the brains or disposition for it. Her violence might also have something to due with that (for instance, in order to control all the alfalfa pellets and get the most, she LAYS on the ground in front of the feeders so none of the nigerians can get any. Not very herd queeny and more lazy piggish. Herd queens would smash the other suckers away with relish, imo. She is also clingy to people and panics if routine is broken.) We will work this out either way.

Mr. Coyote has NOT come back and I feel safer even if I still haven't heard any barking. I also got my gun safety class done with DH. Now I get to go schedule an interview with the police for half an hour and get printed and background checked (and pay ANOTHER $100 for each of us). After getting that done in 2-4 weeks I can go buy a gun. Still going back and forth between a .22 american rimfire (Dad's suggestion for a .22) or a Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun in .410 (my dad's first recommendation, who says it will punch the right sized hole despite being smaller). I joked about getting both (way too expensive, especially after licensing costs) because they are two different tools that can serve different purposes.

We'll work everything out. Bottom line is, things are going well with the dog. She's fitting in great. I've just got to get my big, sweet oaf goat to improve her behavior towards her.

Btw, on a side note, we are not having a dry year at all. It's super humid, super hot (regularly in the 90's?), raining every day, maybe every other day, and my goats keep winding up pale, so I ordered some ingredients to mix to add herbal deworming into the picture, and I'm going to keep on with the conventional wormers and fecals (and I just ordered a new conventional wormer to use, as Ivermectin, Safeguard, and Eprinex all used correctly seem to just have rebounds after 3 weeks routinely, even after doing it then repeating 10 days later). I'm starting to feel like I'm in the south. I wonder if next year will be drier.

At least your parasites will freeze off this winter... are you using the concentrated garlic barrier ? I have been giving it to my goats here in the land of never ending parasites,....several other BYH members also use it, ...I haven't had any major worm problems this summer. Since I got a more regular schedule of use.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
This suspiciously sounds like chicken math....I have 10 laying hens, 1 rooster, 1 hen went broody and hatched 7 chicks. I have 26 eggs in the incubator that are hatching now. I have 50 meat CCX, but they don't count because I am going to slaughter them. Oh, I have 8 old layers, but they don't count because they don't lay any more. the chicks don't count because they aren't chickens yet, plus I plan on selling some...….

Now Bay,, my three critters and a TEMPORARY foster dog...not chicken math ! :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now Bay,, my three critters and a TEMPORARY foster dog...not chicken math ! :lol:
And that is how it starts......all innocently.....a caring, (ahem) not-so-young-lady opens her heart and home to foster dogs.....and a few more.....then you see her on the news getting arresting for brandishing an unloaded 410 shotgun at those mean ol' SPCA people taking all her dogs away......:gig:gig:gig

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could you share about the garlic barrier? I've got garlic to put in my wormer mess, but more info would be great. Also any worming tips you know of would be welcome. Anything that would make the worming would "stick" better, especially with my rutty bucks. My does seem okay after our last round, but the poor boys can't seem to get it together. Makes worming very sticky.

Latest posts