rachels.haven's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure she'll come 100% of the time
Of course she won't because sometimes she'll know that what she is doing is more important than anything you might want her for. You will just need to figure out what that thing is that she is doing. She'll probably deserve some praise for sticking to her job and not coming.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol, you wouldn't want to know the % of time my children or goats come when I call them. I think she can still be the star obedience being here if she makes it to 50% (or doesn't take off running in the opposite direction most of the time :hide ). The little things are nice.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
*Gulp* Our "huge" coyote (this time not my words) has been confirmed in the very close area for the last three days, killing off 2 neighbors' chickens, as fast as possible, in broad daylight. One has none left now, the other is getting harassed all times of day and will soon have none left. Thank you, Bailey, for barking just a little the other day and changing your sleeping spot to the edge of the fence, outside in the dew and cold. My chickens are still in their cube, but me and my kids (and goats) would still be in danger during the day when we're out around this thing that acts like a vicious dog.

We will be skipping walks off the property from now on, which will make her sad, but this is very serious and I need her on the job. Hopefully Bailey will be the last of it. I'm slightly worried about Bailey because even though she's a 120 lbs dog, this coyote is taller than her by a good bit. We're still working on our gun licenses, btw. Maybe she'll be alright if we are really attentive and back her up. Long gun licensing process. I will sleep better when this particular probably has been neutralized.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, know that predators usually want easy meals. If they have to fight for something to eat, they could get injured and they don't go to the vet for stitches. A wound can mean death to them and they know it. Bailey's barking is telling the coyote that there will be a fight if it comes on her property. This is a bad coyote, unafraid of people and it could challenge her, so it is good that y'all are getting firearms and lessons on how to use them.

When coyotes get too close here at night, we go outside, shout and fire into the ground. From howling, it goes silent. Coyotes here know what gun shots mean. A neighbor shot a hog last week, left it lay and waited the next night for coyotes to show up, he shot one of them too. Two pests gone!