rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just got added to the burn ban here and I'm amazed they waited this long. We have had less than an inch of rain for all of June.
I'm glad your added to the burn ban but I can't "love" that with the heart eyes and all. We all need water. I'm hoping for the next few days. 5 acres of wheat just burned yesterday because it was ignited by farm equipment in our county in addition to the structure fires they keep having. It's got to stop.
I hope your pastures and sheep are doing okay. I think someone said you had fescue in your pasture mix and all the fescue down where we were was not happy when we left, I'm bracing myself for seeing it a week later with still no water. It's going to look like tinder and not livestock food.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got home from our trip. Everything survived July 4th and we got two brief and heavy rain showers, but the county is still under a burn ban because they say it wasn't enough.
DH, Dan, and Shaun got sick from something we got while out of town. DH is still sick. If I get time I want to go finish my bigger buck pen. Then work on a pig pen and closing the goats out of the future chicken yard. IDK how high to set the bar today with a sickness in the house so we'll just have to see.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry that the trip wound up with sickness. Sure hope DH gets to feeling better soon. We sure don't bounce back as fast as the kids, as we get a few more years on us.
Glad you at least got a little rain. We are in a pocket where it mostly goes around except for a 10 drop shower. Nothing in the radar now today....
Do what you can and it will get done eventually.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Buck pen is 3/4 walls done. I even splurged and bought a gate so we can minimize the chance of more stitches on these rough cut cattle panels (son#1 already gashed himself open hopping a fence).

So I just made a 4 gallon batch of mozzarella. Now I have a lot of fresh cheese...now what?

I think I need to build a cheese cave fridge. I like not having a time limit to eat things.