Ragdollcatlady's Just a Little Patch of Weeds Farm journal

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That fence looks pretty good to me! Hopefully not all of your rescued plants died...darn dog! Gus has dug up all kinds of stuff I had planted in the back yard...and what she didn't dig up...the goats have destroyed! Oh well!

If you're having muted hearing like that...you SERIOUSLY might wanna go to the Dr. I had that going on for quite some time last month...turned out I had a MAJOR ear infection. Surprised me cause I wasn't experiencing ANY pain at all! My Dr was like "this is the worst ear infection I've seen in a while..." I also had the flu too. But the ear muffled thing lasted almost 3 weeks - after antibiotics (two rounds)! I was shocked...but that muffled sound was really getting on my nerves! I'm happy to report I can hear again! So please, if you haven't already...get it checked out!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Coconut for the concern about my hearing. I did go to the Dr the morning it turned into unbearable pain. I ended up having ear infections in both ears and a perforated eardrum in the right side. Before that I just had a week long sinus infection that seemed to be clearing up. I was feeling more energetic and all, then I woke up to a crazy amount of pain and went in the first appointment they had around 3 that afternoon. I actually didn't have any hearing loss before that that I noticed. Just a little stuffy. Unfortunately the antibiotic makes my stomach a little upset. I've taken it before but not for many years. I don't have to take the pain control very much at all right now, it is just a little uncomfortable for the most part.

I enjoyed helping DH build the fence. He had to work early today and I work tonight so it will be a few days before we get back to it, but I think it is adorable. I like things to match and be straight and ....boy! That just doesn't work around here! My poor husband has spent years trying to help me build things....the thing is, he never used tools, power or otherwise, before I met him (in highschool :p )so he has been learning as we go. My dad is a master carpenter that does fine finish as a specialty... I don't care for power tools because of the noise (can't stand the sound of the vacuum either) but I have a few smaller tools like a power saw and a plug in drill that I prefer to use. I don't care for the cordless because they are too heavy. I decided that if I made a fence that purposely didn't match and didn't try to get the height the same either, I would be much happier....and of course it will match our mismatched country life so much the better!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I thought I would introduce you to a couple of the other animals around here.

This is Whiskey. She is pure Queensland, just not the best type. Around here a lot of people breed queens willynilly. Some are really nicely typed, some not. Alot of them are mixed, but they still work if you get a good one. She belonged to a roommate of our renters. She was just a puppy and would cry all night so the renters finally got permission to take her to the pound. I made the mistake of asking to see her. Mind you...I am not a dog person. Far from it. To me, dogs are so much more trouble than they are worth. I like dogs that belong to other people, are well trained and not my responsibility. My husband is a puppy fiend. Loves them as puppies, not so much as adults.

20 years ago, he and I were looking for a puppy for me.....I wanted a chow. We stopped by a rescue fair and they had a really pretty, small, 3 or 4 month old red female queensland. He wanted her something fierce. They were just closing down and packing up. She was $200.00 but he didn't have that much on him so he asked if I stayed to fill out the paperwork, could he run to the nearest ATM...It would be about a half hour wait. The lady told him no. Knowing how active queens are, I never pursued that.

When I saw Whiskey, My first thought was "she is trainable." I could handle this one. So I asked if I could take her home. If it didn't work, plan A was still available. I brought her home and had DS drop her in DH lap while he was playing video games on the couch. He didn't respond much. I was pretty disappointed. Over the next 3 days, it didn't seem like he was too interested in her other than naming her and petting her once in a while and I wasn't about to let her be "ruined" so I decided she would be my dog. I took her to puppy training class at petsmart. She graduated with flying colors even though she is afraid of strangers. She is really afraid of men. Especially men that are physically similar to the renter. She is a pretty good dog. DD took her to agility and she beat the dog/kid pair that had won the last few years. she does "Bang Bang" super dramatically sometimes, and she does "Shame Shame".

One day she was doing something naughty and I yelled at her to come here! She flew to my feet and threw her paws over her nose in a shame shame! I just about died laughing and of course forgave her immediately!

This is a combination of Bang Bang/Shame Shame
4649_dsc04233.jpg

This is peeking at me to see what I was doing with the scary camera thing.
4649_dsc04234.jpg

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beaux Jangles is supposed to be DHs dog.

DH and I had plans to run to the next town to do a little running around one day. Before we left, DH got a call saying that the auditor was at his workplace and he needed to go in just in case she needed anything. I still had to go to the same town anyway to pick up some stuff. I ended up stopping to see DH at his workplace because my van had busted a water pipe on the way there, so I was letting him know not to leave the town without me....or to help me get the van home when he was done. While I was letting him know, An old coworker saw us in the parking lot and stopped to say hi. I talked to the girlfriend and was petting her puppy. They had just picked up from a cousin. A cute little queensland mix. DH saw her and offered $50 bucks if they could get him one. They said, hey its from a cousin, he would probabaly give you one for free......Now you should know that while DH loves puppies...he doesn't usually really ever try to get more, there are always free puppies and we have more than enough dogs at any given time anyway....He would certainly never pay if he could get one free.....So knowing this, I just sit back and watch. The friends look at me to see if I object...I do what I wish when it comes to animals so I mostly let DH do as he wishes, even though I am stumped. He insists that he is going to pay, but because of my car situation, they would need to give me a ride to pick up the pup. So take DH ATM card and off we go. On the long ride there I learn that the cousin is trying to sell the pups to raise for money for some of the daughters care. She has Downs and the meds are just about wiping them out even with insurance and help from grandma and grandpa. I think maybe they just needed $60 ( you only get 20s out of the ATM so that is what we paid) and DH was impressed by the spirit that he needed to pay that much. Any ways... I picked up the puppy and we fixed my car and I insisted that since he named my dog, Whiskey, I got to name his.

About three weeks later, I had taught Beaux to fetch and was showing DH. I handed him some treats and said, throw it and give him this. Beaux picked up the toy, brought it to me and sat down. He looked at DH several times when DH called him but refused to go. I asked DH how many times he had fed the puppy. He admitted that he hadn't... that would be why he wouldn't give DH the toys! I call Beaux a little "rat faced fink"! It sounds bad, but it is an affectionate term...I actually think pet rats are cute! Beauxs nose is pointy with beady little eyes.....

Here he is wearing a reindeer costume DD bought him to use as a jacket. He lives inside and sleeps on a couch....but who's counting?
4649_dsc04235.jpg

4649_dsc03966.jpg

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rinky Dinky is my little old man.

My son had been asking for a Pomeranian, but I don't want a yippy little dog. While I was waiting for some paperwork, I was walking around the pound looking at the dogs. In a crowded pen full of small hairy dogs, I saw a little dog at the back, quiet as could be just watching. "That is not a chow masquerading as a Pomeranian!" ...actually it was! My first dog was a chow (hubby had ended up getting me one) and he was an awesome dog. So I asked if I could go in and check out this little impersonator......needless to say DS got his dog. He was already an adult, I would guess around 6 years old or so. No spring chicken. But he got along with the other dogs so we were good. I think DS actually named him cutie or something, but I always referred to him as a rinky dinky little dog when calling everyone in. It took a long time for Dinky to trust us. He will now, after many years, bark at us and finally take food from our hands. He will come up and paw at our legs to ask for attention. He has pretty severe allergies and gets hot spots pretty bad. He eats premium food to help with that. He loved it when I worked at Petsmart because I would take him in to get a bath and trim and my friend Deb would put bows on his ears.....He always came out prancing! He looks like a girl, but he doesn't care. He also did the 4H agility and dog training class and completed the course, but with a long time since his legs are so small, he just went at his own pace!

He doesn't like to look at the camera and I can't find my favorite pic of him in his PJs and christmas bows.
4649_dsc02594.jpg

4649_0714101522b.jpg

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is Charlie. He and I don't get along. He used to be my dog til I broke him. My girlfriend and I used to walk for an hour or 2, 4 or so times a week and we took Charlie with. One day we were almost home and he threw himself on the ground refusing to walk. He "screamed" the whole way home and everytime he saw the leash after that he would scream and run back to the run. What the heck! Any other dog in the neighborhood would love me if I walked them....I had to get stuck with the only one that doesn't want to walk! :he

Now, anytime I do anything nice for Charlie, he will pee on my stuff......:he When he is bad, he gets all giddy and happy so we know he did something :barnie . He runs away every chance he gets.....just to get my hopes up, then comes back, because the dogs that are still here might get something good..... If we let him in he will dump out the kitchen trash, take stuff off the counters and pee all over....He used to live mostly in the house!!!!!! I can't stand him! I don't want him to teach the other dogs too many bad things so I limit the time they hang out. This is really DHs dog ( Beaux is just supposed to be DHs dog but is really mine....just don't tell anyone!). He is the one that dug out all our rescued flowers and dug more holes in the flower bed.

4649_dsc03947.jpg

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sweet dogs...nice stories!
if the anti-biotics bother your tummy like that...let your Dr know...there are enough kinds out there that they can find you one you don't "react" to. I used to have tummy problems with certain anti-biotics...when I told my Dr...she tried a few more and although we discovered I'm allergic to penecillin (another reason for the issues)...there are a couple of them I can take/tolerate well. It's made a WORLD of difference!
I'm kinda glad my hubby got turned into a cat person! He grumbles about them...but HIS cats love him! (He's a sucker!) We love our Gus...but she won't fit on the bed...and doesn't like being in the house...so the cats work! (Although Snow White has this thing about 'biting'...not hard...she just tries to grab you when you pet her and she LIKES it! She's taking a while to come around. I'm able to pet our few semi-ferals (even when they were indoors)...but no one else. (I do the feeding like you though!)
Any more critters and their photos/stories? more! more!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
So today, I got home from work and asked hubby to make coffee ( I asked for 5 or 6 cups cause I was pretty tired :p ) but by the time he had coffee done, I was passed out asleep! Apparently he told me he was going to the store, but forgot that I can't hear anything so I never even woke up enough to respond....

I went out and raked up a little bit of the yard. I am trying to get the small sticks up so the poor geese don't trip. I saw Funkasaurus on one of the nests that had 2 eggs in it! Yeah!

I let the girl goats out to play while I was working and the crazy things were kicking up their heels and racing around like kids! Poor Janie didn't run, in fact she didn't even want to come out of the pen today. I think her hips are loosening a bit by the way she was walking. The craziest one was Georgia! Racing every where! I love when older animals enjoy them selves! I think she is only around 5 but she is so calm and sedate sometimes. She doesn't take a lot of garbage from the other does, but she also doesn't insist on asserting herself all the time. It was great to see her acting so silly!

Royd Wood

Reaction score
lol we should have a race to see who falls asleep quickest - be warned I can fall asleep on a clothes line ......you know - one of those things that you hang wet washing on OUTSIDE :lol:

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few pics of my chicken family....

This is J.J. short for Julia Jr, named after his dad, one of the absolutely sweetest cochin roosters ever!(Bearded Cochin X)
4649_dsc03927.jpg

4649_dsc04226.jpg

This is Stinky Weed. We hatched her in an incubator and this was the absolute smelliest, stinkiest little chicken that has ever been born on the planet! She was fostered by a silkie named Tumbleweed so that is where the weed in her name comes in. (Bearded Cochin X)
4649_dsc04217.jpg

4649_dsc04130.jpg

This is M.J. (MaryJane) Stinky Weeds daughter :p (Bearded Cochin X)
4649_dsc04142.jpg

This is Weird Altitude, My replacement for Weird Al my favorite Faverolle rooster that was killed...(Salmon Faverolle)
4649_dsc04029.jpg

4649_dsc04145.jpg

This is Lacy La Rue (BLR Wyandotte)
4649_dsc04189.jpg

This is Mademoiselle Lemon-Aida. She is Lacey La Rues daughter ( BLR Wyandotte/ Maran X) . When she was a baby, I suspect it was Crabby Abby that broke her leg. It was in terrible shape, you could totally move the bones in a horrible way. I liked her too much to put her down without trying to save her though because she was so friendly. With some stellar nursing on the part of Moi...She doesn't even limp now, you would never even know that it was broken.
4649_dsc04140.jpg

This is Alexis. She is one of my Americana Babies that hatched out of one of my dark pastel eggs.
4649_dsc04201.jpg

4649_dsc04190.jpg

This is just a few of my feathered friends... Enjoy!

Latest posts