Ram Issues

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My ram was terrified of a flapping plastic bag. I always kept a plastic grocery bag in my pocket.

I've found the grocery bag to be a useful herding tool for both sheep and chickens..I just tie one on the end of a fishing pole and use it to widen my driving/herding abilities.

Jennifer Hinkle

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would get rid of him. Now this comes form an animal-loving, accept-behavioural-variation in all animals, puny vegetarian. Some rams are just born bad and personality/behaviour is inherited to an extent....so he'd likely make some nasty ram-lamb sons and difficult stand-offish ewes (though some will inherit mum's nature). Obviously I wouldn't eat him, but I know a man who would!

Can you borrow a ram? I regularly borrow to mix the blood lines.

If he hasn't tried to prove to you who is 'Top Ram' yet....well, it's likely to be only a matter of time. DON'T turn your back on him.....that's when he'll charge. Being hit by a lump of muscle, attitude and testosterone isn't the best feeling in the world and will leave you with memorable bruises if not broken bones.
Thank you for your advice. I will defenitly take it into consideration. the kids dont go into his pen, just me and my husband. I would not like getting hit by him. That would seal his fate.