Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Starting to get cooler here, had to add another layer when going outside for chores. Of course DS(15) is still wearing shorts and probably will awhile yet :rolleyes:! DS(15) finished up the on line part of drivers education and now has his learner's permit so DH took him out driving this afternoon.

Our apple cider making didn't turn out so well, the grinding and pressing of the apples went very well. We decided on pasteurizing the cider and the little that we tried didn't sit so well with us...thinking it was the variety of apples and that they weren't so great this year. We've had cider before(purchased else where) and didn't have any issues. Back to the drawing board with this!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is your eye healing? That is scary, not to mention the BORING part of recovery. You are so active, making you stop is like going to jail. Hope you continue to heal and are good as new.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would have no idea where to start making apple cider so we just stick with apple sauce. :)
apple sauce is always good, we were going to make some too with the apples but decided not to. DH and I will do some more pruning on the trees and spray on a more regular schedule this next spring/summer. We have 1 tree that hasn't produced at all so we will most likely replace it this next spring.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is your eye healing? That is scary, not to mention the BORING part of recovery. You are so active, making you stop is like going to jail. Hope you continue to heal and are good as new.

Thanks @Baymule! So far so good, I never had good vision in the eye but keeping what's there is the end goal. Hope BJ is doing well after his surgery too!

Yeah making sure to go slower is the challenge and some days frustrating. Most of my restrictions are lifted, so I can drive again but my doctor still wants me to be extra careful as the pressure in the eye is very high. DH and DS(15) are still doing most all the animal chores, I can help as long as I don't lift anything more then 1 to 1.5 gallons of water. They watch me like a hawk and weren't to happy with me when I went in to say hi to my does the 3rd day after surgery. They were worried that the does would knock me over but relaxed once they realized that the girls knew something was up and being careful! It's cool how animals can sense things and act accordingly, especially our LaMancha and mini-mancha does.

On a positive side, it's given me some time to continue working on my family tree, after 30+ years of working on it, I've found & now email/text with 5 cousins.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you are doing better. Don't lift anything--yeah, right. LOL

My Mom spent 20 years collecting material and wrote a family history book in 1982. That was before internet made it much easier. She did a great job and made it very interesting.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you are doing better. Don't lift anything--yeah, right. LOL

My Mom spent 20 years collecting material and wrote a family history book in 1982. That was before internet made it much easier. She did a great job and made it very interesting.

Well I do have 2 that keep close tabs on me as far as lifting so I have to behave!!

I will say being able to research on line is a great thing especially now days. Since I have extra time, I'm looking through records from Poland to find information. The records are in Latin so it takes awhile to go through each one.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
How's Granite? Do you still have him?

Granite is doing very well, he will be our main buck this year. We are very happy with him, he's always easy going and polite. We are hoping to get 1 of his daughter breed this fall provided our other buck is willing to do his job(we added this buck last fall and since he was low in the ranks he wasn't showing interest).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I do have 2 that keep close tabs on me as far as lifting so I have to behave!!

I will say being able to research on line is a great thing especially now days. Since I have extra time, I'm looking through records from Poland to find information. The records are in Latin so it takes awhile to go through each one.
Do you read latin? If not, how do you translate?

When my mom was doing research, she went to cemetaries, county records, wrote lots of letters to many family members and she and my Dad went to England and Scotland.

Latest posts