Recognizing A Heifer in Heat

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a 15 month old Jersey heifer I want to breed. The bull is 2+ hours away and they charge $150/week as the fee, so we will only be leaving her there 1 week. So, I need to get really good at recognizing when she is in heat to time it right. Most of what I've read about signs she is in heat is in reference to other cows, but she lives with a flock of sheep. She started being aggressive with the ewes last week. We thought that was a sign, but she full out charged an ewe today, so maybe not. What are signs she's in heat?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am gonna watch this and @farmerjan might be able to help. A few others i can't recall the names of either i am two years from this but never to early to learn

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The best signs of a pending heat is riding other cattle, then they will stand when being mounted, but you don’t have other cattle. Some things you can watch for to help...
MUCUS DISCHARGE
As an indirect result of elevated estrogen levels, mucus is produced in the cervix and accumulates with other fluids in the vagina before, during, and shortly after estrus. Long viscous, clear elastic strands of mucus generally hang from the vulva. Sometimes, however, the mucus does not appear externally until the cow is palpated during insemination and the mucus is expelled. Mucus also may be smeared on the tail, thighs, flanks, or perineal region.
SWELLING AND REDDENING OF THE VULVA
During heat the vulva swells and the interior becomes moist and red. Generally these symptoms appear before heat and remain for a short period after heat. Thus they are not precise indicators of estrus. During midcycle the lips of the vulva are pale and more difficult to separate.
BELLOWING, RESTLESSNESS, AND TRAILING
Cows in heat are more restless and alert to their surroundings. Prior to and during heat, they remain standing and alert while their herdmates are lying down and resting. This is more noticeable for stanchioned cows. Cattle may bellow more frequently during estrus. Although these are not definitive signs of heat, cows exhibiting such behavior should be watched closely for standing behavior.

It may be difficult to predict properly. I would be prepared to leave her for up to 5 weeks.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the things @Grant says are ways to tell. One by herself is harder. The being aggressive to the sheep could be signs she is coming in. Is she also doing anything different with you? Do you bring her into a barn or stall or something so you can observe her closer? We had a heifer by herself in conn. and she would even try to ride us if we turned our back on her when she was coming in heat. You are going to have to record her actions everyday for several weeks to see if she changes her behavior. Some show very few signs. You can get shots from the vet. A shot of Lutalyse, then 10 days later a second shot. Then she should be in heat within 3 days. We have used that on hard to catch in heat animals.

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
All the things @Grant says are ways to tell. One by herself is harder. The being aggressive to the sheep could be signs she is coming in. Is she also doing anything different with you? Do you bring her into a barn or stall or something so you can observe her closer? We had a heifer by herself in conn. and she would even try to ride us if we turned our back on her when she was coming in heat. You are going to have to record her actions everyday for several weeks to see if she changes her behavior. Some show very few signs. You can get shots from the vet. A shot of Lutalyse, then 10 days later a second shot. Then she should be in heat within 3 days. We have used that on hard to catch in heat animals.

We shepherd her with the sheep during the day, then pen her up at night. She hasn't acted any differently with me, and I'm out with her at least 3 hours a day. She actually charged an ewe today, then got run off by the ram.

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The best signs of a pending heat is riding other cattle, then they will stand when being mounted, but you don’t have other cattle. Some things you can watch for to help...
MUCUS DISCHARGE
As an indirect result of elevated estrogen levels, mucus is produced in the cervix and accumulates with other fluids in the vagina before, during, and shortly after estrus. Long viscous, clear elastic strands of mucus generally hang from the vulva. Sometimes, however, the mucus does not appear externally until the cow is palpated during insemination and the mucus is expelled. Mucus also may be smeared on the tail, thighs, flanks, or perineal region.
SWELLING AND REDDENING OF THE VULVA
During heat the vulva swells and the interior becomes moist and red. Generally these symptoms appear before heat and remain for a short period after heat. Thus they are not precise indicators of estrus. During midcycle the lips of the vulva are pale and more difficult to separate.
BELLOWING, RESTLESSNESS, AND TRAILING
Cows in heat are more restless and alert to their surroundings. Prior to and during heat, they remain standing and alert while their herdmates are lying down and resting. This is more noticeable for stanchioned cows. Cattle may bellow more frequently during estrus. Although these are not definitive signs of heat, cows exhibiting such behavior should be watched closely for standing behavior.

It may be difficult to predict properly. I would be prepared to leave her for up to 5 weeks.
She has not been vocal at all. She has been much more aware of the cows across the street, but that's been for the last two weeks, so not a a clear indicator. We are only going to be able to leave her a week, which is why I'm trying to become a cow heat expert.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Then I would force her to heat with the Lutalyse as @farmerjan suggested. Take her the day she gets the 2nd shot to be sure she will be in heat during the week. I hope you know there is no guarantee she takes on the 1st breeding as a heifer. :fl

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One other thing. Are you sure she is a "good" heifer? No chance she is a twin to a bull therefore a free martin that is 90% sure to be a non-breeder? Actually, I would have a vet palpate her, make sure her ovaries and reproductive tract are functioning. A Lute shot will do no good if she is not already cycling. If you are shooting for a spring calving, then you have a couple of months to get her heats pinpointed. But if her reproductive tract is not matured, and her ovaries are not producing folicles, all the lutalyse in the world won't help.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a 15 month old Jersey heifer I want to breed. The bull is 2+ hours away and they charge $150/week as the fee, so we will only be leaving her there 1 week. So, I need to get really good at recognizing when she is in heat to time it right. Most of what I've read about signs she is in heat is in reference to other cows, but she lives with a flock of sheep. She started being aggressive with the ewes last week. We thought that was a sign, but she full out charged an ewe today, so maybe not. What are signs she's in heat?
Has she been cycling? Timing is pretty regular/predictable, most cases.
In the herd, she may ride or stand, that activity is normal.
You don't want her bred first heat. At 15 months, she has probably cycled.
Large Dairy and AI programs will use hormones to induce heat. I wouldn't but my neighbor does. To each as they choose.
Watch her tail. Often a heifer/cow will hod her tail up or to the side a little. If you can watch her closely, she will swell and produce mucus. There may be some color with increased blood circulation.
There are some good Youtube clips that might help too.
I hope your bull makes a nice small calf. Hope this helps some