TheGoatLife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got an 8 week old ND buckling 2 weeks ago.

About 3 days into owning him, he got very bad liquid scours. I asked for help with diarrhea on this forum.

Diarrhea overview: I gave him pepto bismal, electrolyte paste, and Gatorade + goat electrolytes in his bottles, which I increased because he was not eating hay (2-3x a day) when not giving milk. I did not want him to get dehydrated. I also got him treated for cocci.

It took 3-4 days and his diarrhea slowed, and regular feces began to emerge until he had normal goat feces.

Now I give him 2 bottles at 4oz each (back to his normal routine).

Reason for this post: I have noticed 2-3 times that he urinated red urine. I gave him apple cider vinegar in his water bottle, a couple times a day. For two days, until I got some mineral with ammonium chloride in it. Also, I think his urine streams are a bit better, but I’m not sure!

I have not seen the red urine since I gave him ACV.

I really I hope I didn’t give him hemoglobinuria, because I gave him electrolyte water bottles during his bad diarrhea episode!!!!

I thought, maybe all the Gatorade through his bodily minerals out of balance, and it was the start of UC?

He seems fine and has been eating more hay/forage which includes eastern pine needles, fallen leaves (maybe maple and walnut), orchard + alfalfa hay mix.

I read that some forage like leaves can change the color of their intone?

Please no hate as I am newer to goats!!

Thanks for everyone taking the time to answer my questions 😁

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was the Gatorade a red colored version?

Some times the dye will go through.

If you don't see any more red pee... maybe it was the Gatorade color, or dehydration (not sure that would make it red, but it will make the pee very dark).

Amyway..Anyway... if it stopped... ma6be it is fine now?

@Mini Horses ?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe add more water to the milk formula. Dark urine is sometimes a sign of dehydration. However, it sounds like he is doing well now.

Electrolytes will not harm him. If he had diarrhea and you gave him electrolytes, that was good since the electrolytes will replenish the minerals that he was losing through the constant scours. Normally, ammonium chloride is not necessary until the wether/bucks are a little older. It is used to prevent urinary calculi in rams, bucks, and wethers resulting from too much calcium in their feed. Not all bucks, rams, and wethers develop UC even in the same herd, and on the same diet. Being careful is good, just make sure you don't overdose on the ammonium chloride since he is just a little guy.

Has he had his CDT vaccinations yet?

TheGoatLife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Was the Gatorade a red colored version?

Some times the dye will go through.

If you don't see any more red pee... maybe it was the Gatorade color, or dehydration (not sure that would make it red, but it will make the pee very dark).

Amyway..Anyway... if it stopped... ma6be it is fine now?

@Mini Horses ?
Orange then I got some red Gatorade. Maybe that was it! I just want to be proactive and treat a problem before it gets worse.

I haven’t seen the red urine since….Hopefully thats all it was!

Thanks for answering this and my other questions @Alaskan

TheGoatLife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Maybe add more water to the milk formula. Dark urine is sometimes a sign of dehydration. However, it sounds like he is doing well now.

Electrolytes will not harm him. If he had diarrhea and you gave him electrolytes, that was good since the electrolytes will replenish the minerals that he was losing through the constant scours. Normally, ammonium chloride is not necessary until the wether/bucks are a little older. It is used to prevent urinary calculi in rams, bucks, and wethers resulting from too much calcium in their feed. Not all bucks, rams, and wethers develop UC even in the same herd, and on the same diet. Being careful is good, just make sure you don't overdose on the ammonium chloride since he is just a little guy.

Has he had his CDT vaccinations yet?
Yes, one at 3 weeks and a second at 8 weeks

TheGoatLife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That may well be his issue!

You won't find that around here! :)
Thanks! Also, sometimes during the day he has needle thin streams of urine shorting sideways and/or all around for about 3 seconds. Is this breeding behavior?

He is 10 weeks this week, and already has tried mounting some doelings.

Latest posts