Reina, Baymule’s Horse

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was gone for a week on vacation to Disney in Orlando Florida. Got home Friday evening. Checked all animals, got lots of dog hugs and kisses. Checked Reina. Left eye was cloudy, weeping and she couldn’t see out of that eye. She was jittery and startled easy. Got vet appointment this afternoon. Trailer is hitched, her halter is on and I have a pocket of treats. I’ll let y’all know results this evening.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was gone for a week on vacation to Disney in Orlando Florida. Got home Friday evening. Checked all animals, got lots of dog hugs and kisses. Checked Reina. Left eye was cloudy, weeping and she couldn’t see out of that eye. She was jittery and startled easy. Got vet appointment this afternoon. Trailer is hitched, her halter is on and I have a pocket of treats. I’ll let y’all know results this evening.
Hopefully it goes well

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She has an eye infection. There was trauma to the eye. Meaning she could have banged her face/eye on who knows what. She gets a steroid eye drop 6 times a day. She gets 1 eye drop at night, it dilates her eye. Bute twice a day on her feed. Take her back next Monday for check up. Worst case scenario she loses the eye. If she gets worse, take her back immediately.

I think I got this figured out. Starting at 7 AM, eye drop every 2 hours, until 5PM. Wait 15 minutes then give the nighttime drop. Vet said, 3 times a day, but she’ll get better faster at 6 times a day.

She actually came to me when I called her, with halter in hand. I put it on her and gave her a treat. For the duration, I’ll leave it on her.

She is looking so much better! I take pictures February 6. I got her December 6, taking monthly pictures.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This eye drop thing has not been going well. Reina hates it and tosses her head. Tuesday it STORMED. Rain poured down, blew sideways and rained and rained. I’d catch a lull in the storm and go put eye drops in her eye. Tuesday wasn’t so bad, rain and all. Wednesday I had to leave early for therapy, get oil changed in the car, run errands and buy groceries. I didn’t get home until after 2. Then unloaded car, put away groceries.

Went to give Reina her eye drop. She shook her head sideways, tossed it up and down, it was a fight. I only got her 2 eye drops plus her nighttime drop on Wednesday. Thursday I bought a humane twitch. That made a world of difference! Now I put the twitch on, hold with one hand, fumble in pocket for tiny eye drop bottle, unscrew cap and work it between her eye lids and squeeze. I’m back on track. I give her a treat and let her graze 5 or 10 minutes.

This is working.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey! Whaddaya’ know??? Reina’s coat is pale, faded, coarse and shows the starvation she was in. She had scrapes on her, bare spots, when I got her. The hair is coming back in, and it’s a darker color!

26E6FDB1-286B-46B2-A768-0EDE0EB10D27.jpeg

8E24613E-2CA7-4C10-8FEE-2A3A78D0D3C6.jpeg