Relocating Grain Silos, help!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
make sure you use the lighter of the 2 vehicles to begin the tiltover and the heavier one to control the drop. It won't take much to start it to tilt over but once it reaches about 30deg off vertical, you will have the weight of the bin + gravity. You will also find that once you exceed about 70 deg from vertical, (almost horizontal) you will not have much control at all due solely to the angle of the ropes or winch line leading back to the braking vehicle. If possible, lay it down directly onto the trailer.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, just curious, how did it go?

Also, what does one use a grain silo for? Our local auction has a grain silo for sale and they usually go for dirt cheap!

Do I really need one?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine needing one for my goats. Or for sheep. I hope to get one for pig feed. But I have a lot of friends who would buy bulk grain from me. It's really only good for a month or so before it starts losing nutritional value... So, depends on what you raise...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine needing one for my goats. Or for sheep. I hope to get one for pig feed. But I have a lot of friends who would buy bulk grain from me. It's really only good for a month or so before it starts losing nutritional value... So, depends on what you raise...

Yes it does depend on how much feed you will be going through as to whether you could use one. BUT, they come in many sizes, and grain bins - as they are called here because a silo implies that it will contain grains that will be fermented in some way - are very handy for bulk grain or feed buying. We have one that only holds a 1/2 ton -1,000lbs- and we get it delivered when we have something else coming. We have several, and we feed quite a few animals. Each has different feed for different animals.
I tend to disagree that the feed will lose nutritional value, under some conditions. In the summer, yes. But once the weather turns colder, it will keep for several months. I like having the bins filled in Nov or Dec and then not having to worry about bad weather or anything else. Also, pelleted feed will keep it's quality longer than a feed that has cracked grains and molasses in it. We actually did some feed analysis to see and the loss of nutrients was negligible.
I used to raise pastured layers, before the eagle started carrying them off, and had about 3/4th ton of feed left to just feed the half dozen purebreds at the house. It got some bugs (weevils) in it, but the chickens like bugs and all they did was convert the protein into another form and the show birds are doing fine on it. Also, I use DE ( diatomaecus earth) in all my feed and mineral mixes, so the weevils that did hatch did not get very far because it took care of them. I will be feeding that feed out for another 6 months, before it is finally used up. Since the birds also get out on the ground they are getting enough of everything to not have to worry about the feed lacking quality. If you feed anything like cracked corn, a bin can make it alot cheaper to buy by the ton. We don't have time to run to town to get feed and mineral, so they are definitely worth it to us.
If you are remotely near a feed mill that delivers bulk feed, you can get the mix the way you want it and that is a big selling point to us.
They will sweat in the summer so you have to be a little more careful what you put in it and how long you store it. Nice thing is there are no rats, mice, possums, raccoons, or d****d groundhogs (woodchucks up north) getting into the feed.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
No one here will deliver less than 3 tons. In warm weather I would have to guarantee that I could go through that in a reasonable amount of time. It depends on how many animals you have. You have WAY more animals than I do, lol.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's lousy that they won't deliver less than 3 tons. What we do is call in to our feed mill, and tell them to send out whatever we want, say a ton of 17% pellets; WHEN THEY ARE COMING IN THIS DIRECTION. We get an early order discount since they can co-ordinate deliveries. And the trucks have 6 or more bins on them so they can bring a ton of this and a ton of that, and 2 ton for the neighbor...Maybe you ought to check with any larger farms in the area and see if you could co-order...
Yeah we do have alot of cattle, although we feed very little in the summer when everyone is on pasture. Just any younger animals that are weaned or something.
One of the other feed mills won't deliver less than 3 tons either; and they charge for delivery. We don't pay delivery fees, mileage or whatever. And no it's not hidden in the feed costs, because the costs are comparable or less than the other mill, and the quality is alot better. If we had to have it "yesterday" then I am sure there would be added charges.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not exactly in farm country, lol. The only sizeable operation near me is a grass fed beef operation. Other than that just a lot of backyard hobbyists. We do get pig feed by the 55 gallon container from a guy who has a silo but he's about 40 minutes away.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
some mills or co-ops will fix you up with 900-1000 lb supersacks. Always cheaper to buy feed, fertilizer and hay by the ton. I'll go this week and get 4 sacks/2 tons of range meal.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our silos hold about 10 tons (as suggested by the local feed mill). We've found its cheaper to get larger amounts and I was getting tired of picking up 50# bags 2 times a week to feed everyone. We opted for a forage extender for the sheep, goats and alpacas as a supplement. The second one will hold wood pellets for the pellet stove. SOOO much cheaper to get it bulk (not up front). Here in Colorado, it is much easier to keep feed then in wetter environments. Where I am, it stays dry pretty much all year.

IMG_6117.JPG
IMG_6143.JPG
IMG_6552.JPG