1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Scurs

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by AlleysChicks, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jul 10, 2019
    Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl Overrun with beasties

I had one with a scur like that, I got a pair of needllenose pliers and lifted it up slightly and was going to use my hoove trimmers to trim it, when I lifted up it was loose and I just slightly pulled and it came off without any cutting and no bleeding.

Mini Horses and B&B Happy goats like this.
  2. Jul 10, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

That is awesome, wish they all would do that :) :yesss:

Mini Horses likes this.
  3. Jul 10, 2019
    Ridgetop

Ridgetop True BYH Addict

You can get a scur nippers that will take off the scurs. It is easier than wire. You should trim the scurs before they get too big to avoid having them double over and maybe grow into the goat's head. Order through any livestock catalog. Since the scurs usually don't have a blood supply (or at least very little) there will be no pain in clipping them and no bleeding. If they bleed use Quickstop powder or in a pinch you can use flour.

B&B Happy goats likes this.