rescue baby, questions

BorderKelpie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, I (stupidly) fell for the 'she needs a good home.....'
Anyway, the first thing I notice is that the baby is skinny, the second thing is, the 'filly' has outdoor plumbing (trying to keep it family friendly here lol)
I have had horses before, just adults, not babies. I want to know the approximate size and weight of the average 10 month old baby should be (supposed to be a QH). I think he's too tiny, but I could be wrong. I also think that I may run him up to the vet to have his teeth looked at to verify his age. I am worried he is going to be tiny due to stunting. Does anyone have any ideas?
TIA

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can we get a photo? I can get a picture of my neighbours 10 month old, very healthy, colt if you like. He's a QH, he'll only mature to about 14.3hh but he's still a QH!

BorderKelpie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm only on the 'net at work. I will try to figure a way to post pics from here, but I can't guarantee it. I have started him a little journal and got pictures today. I'm kind of thinking the 'before and after' thing. I would love to see pics of the colt you're referring to, please.
Thanks!

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds like a horse my dad and I went to look at last spring. He was supposed to be about a year old and he was tiny! He was also supposed to be gelded but you could clearly see testicles!

Anyways, I don't have any pictures of a ten month old, but I have one of my filly after we brought her home. She was 1 1/2 yrs and about 13.2H-13.3 H when we brought her home. I thought for sure she was going to be tiny, but she will be three in May and she's about 14.3H now. I'm thinking she will fill out to about 15 H or so.

Here's a picture. Don't mind me...I look TERRIBLE! I was excited and couldn't care less how I looked! LOL This was the day we brought her home.

n713083084_1610618_6920803.jpg

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chickerdoodle is that you with your filly? If so... you look exactly like a friend of mine, Rachel lol.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Borderkelpie, I'm surprised you didn't do a search. :/ So...I did one for you. Plenty of horseman are advertising online now, so here's links to 10 month old foals, and healthy foals that are more or less the same age.
10 month old gelding pictures:
http://special.equisearch.com/blog/horsetalk/2010/02/smitty-checks-back-in-as-gelding.html
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...l=en&sa=N&rlz=1T4IRFC_enUS364US364&tbs=isch:1
Welsh Cob
http://www.horseweb-uk.com/hi/int72.jpg
http://www.phja.com/BUTTTER.JPG
KMH's pictures of HEALTHY foals between 6-12 months old:
http://www.appleridgemountainhorses.com/forsale.htm
(I've seen THESE foals, when I bought my gelding last year.) This is what HEALTHY foals are supposed to look like. I wouldn't worry about stinting the growth. I am convinced that my Arab never got enough fat cells to EVER get fat in his lifetime, because he was a painfully skinny 4 year old when I bought him. But, I believe that he grew to his appropriate height.

Hope this helps you, and bless you for taking on a neglected animal. :hugs

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Chickerdoodle is that you with your filly? If so... you look exactly like a friend of mine, Rachel lol.
Yep, that is me! A horrible picture of me, but one none-the-less. LOL I didn't know my mom was taking a picture at the time. I was just paying too much attention to my new little horsey!

BTW, she did have worms when we bought her and she was a bit thin. We fixed her up and got her on some good food and she took off from there. Every time I go home she is either taller or longer! LOL

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chickerdoodle13 said:
lupinfarm said:
Yep, that is me! A horrible picture of me, but one none-the-less. LOL I didn't know my mom was taking a picture at the time. I was just paying too much attention to my new little horsey!

BTW, she did have worms when we bought her and she was a bit thin. We fixed her up and got her on some good food and she took off from there. Every time I go home she is either taller or longer! LOL
LOL. Its weird, you're like Rachel's twin. Holy Moley.

BorderKelpie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, I tried, I can't post pics from work - Argh!
I'll try to find someone who can do that for me.
Anyway, a little update on Jude (Hey, Jude, take a sad song and make it better) I thought it might fit. lol
He has been wormed with Ivermectin, I started him slowly on grain. The feed store only had 14% Performance, but I figured it was better that what he's been getting. The guy at the feed store also sent some alfalfa cube treats (free of charge, what a nice guy!). Jude will now let me halter him in the pasture and lead him to the shed/barn thing for food and grooming sessions. His coat is in terrible shape, but, we'll work on it. His mane and tail are combed out and he's learning how to balance when I clean his stinky little feet. He will now let me handle his ears, face, tail, etc. If nothing else, I hope to have him bombproof and gentle. My DD was able to lead him around just for fun, lean over his back and play with him. I am reminding her that he will grow and needs manners, too. No worries there. I hate horses to crowd me. lol. He does like to lean on people. Gosh, he's cute, but we can't allow that. :-(
He seems to be doing a bit better, although, he is still very thin and scruffy. He is a little perkier, but still awfully quiet and mellow. But, he seems a bit more curious than he was, I think that's a good sign. I am waiting for him to feel good enough to play and be bratty.
Thank you all for the links and pictures, They helped. Maybe he isn't as tiny as I thought. He may work out after all. Even if he's too small for me, he will at least now get a solid foundation for whomever ends up with him. I am hoping he gets at least 14.2. That would be ok for me. I am not a big person at all, and it would be nice to have a horsey buddy again. He has at least another 2 years of growing before I'll even start thinking of riding. It's fun sharing him with my daughters in the meantime. Great little project horse for us to bond over/with.
Thanks guys!

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maybe's it just me, but I finally bought my driving horse yesterday--a 13 yr old Standardbred, that's been owned/trained to drive and ride at an Arab show stable. You know, small horses make great driving horses. A horse can pull 4 times the weight that they can carry. AND, driving can be trained in a lot earlier than backing. Plus, driving isn't anywhere near as hard on a horses' back.

My new guy is gonna be helping me with light farm work this summer. I'd rather school HIM then push a wheelbarrow everywhere.

Just a thought. :D