rescue baby, questions

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm with ducks4you, Mylie is getting trained to drive as well :D

She'll look so purty all harnessed up and such.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BTW, lupinfarm, this is my 2nd go round with driving. I devoured a book on the subject, bought an Amish breaking cart and picked up a used buggy about 12 years ago. My book suggested taking any well broken riding horse and train that the drive. Well, my QH had different ideas. Funny, he never had a problem with the breaking cart. He was very happy to be led around, even if we packed all of our camping equipment on it. But, being driven from behind was another story. I admit that he was about 15 years old when I tried this with him, but it just unnerved him. He never did anything wrong, but he never took to it either.

My new horse did a little harness racing and knows enough long lining to teach me how to do it. Also, I now have an Amish farrier (also horse trainer) who is going to to keep him for a few weeks later this year and give him a refresher, AND will get him fitted for his collar and harness.

EVERYBODY I have ever spoken to that drives will tell you NOT to get a harness with a breastcollar. They break too easily. You need to have your horse fitted for his own collar. Then, it won't rub on him.

BorderKelpie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You know, Jude would make a pretty little harness horse. What a neat mini-vacation. I could drive the horse to the grocery store and go shopping, how much fun would that be? Way to go 'green, huh? (we're somewhat rural, and most of us out here have a sense of humor). I can picture my buggy with an ice chest in it for the groceries. lol
How hard is it for someone like me to teach a horse to drive?

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
BTW, lupinfarm, this is my 2nd go round with driving. I devoured a book on the subject, bought an Amish breaking cart and picked up a used buggy about 12 years ago. My book suggested taking any well broken riding horse and train that the drive. Well, my QH had different ideas. Funny, he never had a problem with the breaking cart. He was very happy to be led around, even if we packed all of our camping equipment on it. But, being driven from behind was another story. I admit that he was about 15 years old when I tried this with him, but it just unnerved him. He never did anything wrong, but he never took to it either.

My new horse did a little harness racing and knows enough long lining to teach me how to do it. Also, I now have an Amish farrier (also horse trainer) who is going to to keep him for a few weeks later this year and give him a refresher, AND will get him fitted for his collar and harness.

EVERYBODY I have ever spoken to that drives will tell you NOT to get a harness with a breastcollar. They break too easily. You need to have your horse fitted for his own collar. Then, it won't rub on him.
My gelding was long lined and doing well with that, but pulling anything? It was like it was going to kill him lol. My trainer insists on long lining every horse in sight so Mylie will get long lined.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds pretty gosh-darned-glorious!! I'll be taking pictures of mine--we have to start a Driving Horse picture thread later this year, agreed?

BTW, did you know that the old stagecoach drivers could flick a fly off of their horse's with their whips? Also, ALL of the old stagecoach routes have become US Interstates now.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Crazzzyy. I DO think we need to start a driving horse thread now. Darn LOL. Mylie would look so cute all harnessed up and maybe I can get a photo of my neighbours two big drafts, in December/January the horses went mental and then we noticed his drafts with a big cutter going through the field next door :D GORGEOUS horses, two big red roan horses, no idea of breed but I think they're french.

BorderKelpie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh, I would LOVE to see pictures of horses in harness!
Those red roans sound beautiful.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BorderKelpie said:
Oh, I would LOVE to see pictures of horses in harness!
Those red roans sound beautiful.
Mine is an old standardbred, 16"2hh, generic bay (black winter coat, red peeking through--NO markings, save the racing tattoo.

The ground's been so icy, I haven't ridden in months, BUT, I start ground driving him this weekend. Gotta get him down to the harness shop to get fitted, then I can start with my breaking cart. It will be several weeks to a month, but he's a pro, so I'll be learning from him. Pictures won't be for another month.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Actually, this is funny.. yesterday the horses were out! Mylie and Luna were staring off into the distance really alert and looked quite bent out of shape. I went outside and heard the bells jingling and saw my neighbour and his dad out with the big horses in the field next to my house. BEAUTTIFUL.

BorderKelpie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think I want to try that. Jude would be pretty pulling a little buggy. That way, the whole family can enjoy him. Cool!
'nuther little update. Little beast apparantly thinks I'm his mommy or best buddy. I went out to help someone with his pony. I stepped back and tripped over Jude. He now comes trotting up to me and follows me everywhere. He was even trying to nibble my boots. I've turned him into a puppy already. Oops, gosh, he's cute.
:)