Rescued rabbits

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I rescued 4 rabbits last week. 2 M/F pairs that had each been kept together. I separated the NZ pair the other day. I’m worried she may be pregnant but I’m unsure. I put her back in with the buck briefly but she laid down when he tried to mount then she mounted him repeatedly! Could this be a sign that she’s pregnant? I tried palpitating her but couldn’t feel anything.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
it would probably be best to keep them separate and watch and count your days- does can kindled between 28-35 days, watch for signs like hay gathering/nest building.

Good luck and keep us posted! Pictures too :D

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Um, that sounds to me like she is trying to be dominant. Although I did have some who did that because they wanted the buck to do his job and he wasn't experienced enough lol.

She might not be far enough along to be able to tell if she is pregnant. If you want her pregnant it won't hurt to put her in with him, if you don't then keep them separated. Either way, I'd palate again in a few days.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I put her back in with the buck briefly but she laid down when he tried to mount then she mounted him repeatedly! Could this be a sign that she’s pregnant?

No, it is just dominating behavior. I have seen does do it to other does and bucks to bucks, too. I even saw a 3 week old baby do it with her sister, including the neck bite and positioning! o_O They had not even been weaned yet!

Assuming the doe is pregnant is always the best course.

Last edited:

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She’s never been pregnant according to the previous owner but she could have been and they just not known. Supposedly they only had them a few months.
These rabbits were pretty neglected. Out in a dog kennel with no shelter, and food tossed on the ground. The other 2 rabbits were in a hutch with absolutely nothing.

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
SO! Skinny maybe Cali doe had a baby today while I was gone. It was cold and half eaten. I gave hay and she grabbed a mouthful and ran laps around her cage. So I also gave her a box. There was no attempt at making a nest prior to this baby. She ate hay yesterday like nothing was going on and no signs of fur pulling (although she’s missing so much from prior to getting her that I probably wouldn’t notice additional bald spots.

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
NZ got a box too since I have no clue if she was also bred before I got her. :thLucky me!

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update.
I’ll check in the morning but at lockup she had 5 in the box, 1 was dead and underdeveloped but 2x as big as the others. So a total of 6 with 4 living.
8D99DD6B-1E1B-445D-A5EA-233E76A1D65D.jpeg

This is her before the rest were born. I didn’t want to disturb her too much after she had the others.
That nest box is at least 15 years old lol that sticker is hanging on!