Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think that is even a measurement in Texas!

They actually sell snow shovels in Texas? Wow, talk about a space "taker upper".
30 miles is just a quick trip to town. :lol:

They are not called snow shovels, they are STABLE shovels. No snow to speak of, but PLENTY of manure! :gig

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
At least all that pork is the epitome of true "FREE RANGE" animals!!! I know all the ranchers I am in contact with would much prefer to not have all that free range pork running around and would rather have to go buy confinement raised pork because that would mean their fields are not all dug up like a bad tilling job.

SageHill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So yesterday since we did not have anything else to clean out and the dump was closed, we went to the Priefert outlet. We priced gates and panels in the "seconds" yard and then scored in the "thirds" yard that had 2 panels and a 6' gate with wire on it. DS1 immediately wanted the small gate for the property in California to replace a chain link gate. If had a BIG dent in the top arch (no wire on that) and we called it an "Art Gate". I told the salesman that it would be a "statement piece". :lol: One 12' panel was pretty damaged, one 10' panel did not look damaged at all, and we got all 3 pieces for $65. The seconds - 16' gates with wire were $210 each and they looked just as good as any you would find at Tractor Supply. Like DS1 said, after coming home in the truck, being unloaded, and a couple months use on the ranch they ALL look like "seconds"! :gig

Really glad about the dump being only about 10-15 minutes away! We went early and loaded up a load and went to the dump. 3 trucks ahead of us and the guy said that if we had a lot of wood to dump we might have to wait until next week since it had been really busy that morning already! We dumped the garbage and went back for the wood and metal. (Metal dumps for free in another spot of the dump.) We quickly loaded the wood and metal and another bag of garbage and got back to the dump. As we were dumping the last of the junk and wood 3 more trucks and a trailer pulled in to dump.
View attachment 93590 Here is the clean tack room. :celebrate

You can see the opening in the corners where the walls have pulled apart at the bottom. The area at the bottom of the walls needs to be cleaned out and the walls reattached to the floor. Not a hard job once we are there.

DS2, DDIL2 and Robert are having a good time visiting places in Texas. They bought tickets for the rodeo Saturday night in Fort Worth for all of us. On Friday we will drive to Lindale to the all-you-can-eat Eastern Buffet. :drool They fly home on Sunday. DS1 will stay here with us and travel home by car with us. DS2 asked where Baymule lived and when he found out she was down near Houston said he wished he had known he would have gone to meet her. DS1 said that would be hard since she was my imaginary friend then laughed uproariously. Bad DS1, no biscuit!

Still didn't get the laundry done today. Went to Walmart and grocery shopped. Will have to find another grocery store once we are living here since Walmart is expensive. We will check out Aldi for produce, and a couple of bargain grocery outlets. Also will put in a large vegetable garden and can a lot of the veggies. I have 2 pressure canners, 2 hot water bath canners, and boxes and boxes of canning jars in our shed which will be coming with us. I really would like to try the new electric pressure canners. I saw one in Washington State but the store closed up during Covid. I will check on line and also check the reviews but being able to set it and have it keep the pressure without always adjusting the heat would make canning lots of jars a lot easier.

Got an appointment tomorrow with the Legacy Land Bank which does farm and ranch loans to discuss interest rates and possible loans. We need to put up a large carport to protect our trailer and vehicles from hail, also a storage tank for the well since we will be using the well to water the sheep and garden. And possibly a tractor loan eventually. Just a discussion so we know what is available and doable. Next week we meet with the NCRS fellow for Wood County.

Our tenant, Larry, wants lamb and said he usually gets about 4 deer each year. He will trade venison for lamb. He also gets a lot of hogs. He said young gilts cook up beautifully in the pressure cooker with a recipe he uses to make pulled pork. Yum!

Really have to do laundry tomorrow!
WOW!! Fantastic work on the tack room - amazing!!
I got a Presto Electric Pressure Canner and LOVE it. sooo easy. Pricey - but I can fill it, turn it on and leave it.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just what I want! With 2 of them and the 2 stove top ones, I can process at top speed instead of standing for hours in front of the stove and sink! :)

Met with Marc at the AG bank yesterday and learned a lot of good info about Texas farm loan rules which will be useful for the ranch operation. Had a really enjoyable conversation with him. He told us NOT to borrow for a tractor since many of the tractor sellers give 0% interest. Then DH decided he needed a pedicure, so we went there. Had it in mind to go price trailers (info only) afterwards but got our wires crossed - I thought he wanted to go to the one on the way back to the KOA while DH meant the one on the way to the ranch from SS. Different directions from SS so we grabbed a Chick Fillet, came home and did laundry instead. No rush on pricing trailers. I thought DH wanted to price cargo trailers (he had a lead on a 24' used one) but it turned out he wanted to price flatbeds so he could haul a tractor, panels, and hay. I guess we need to discuss our plans more fully. With the extra space in the 5th wheel from removing the banquette we will be able to bring a lot of stuff back inside the 5th wheel as well as in the truck bed. I will go through the stuff we will be moving to decide what we don't need that can come back now. We have about 4 36x30 rabbit cages still in the shipping boxes not put together, along with boxes of feeders, auto watering system parts, nest boxes, etc. that can all come back. Not to mention the older cages that I need to take apart and they can be boxed up flat pack to bring back. Oh yes, and the chains and clevises/hooks with which to hang them. Those can all come back in the trailer along with some other boxes of equipment, etc. for repairing the house and barn.

The 30 acres next to our place is on the market again. The buyer decided it would cost too much to build the 12 houses he planned and has put it up for sale by owner. DH wants me to call him to see what he is pricing it at. Interest rates are around 8% plus right now! DH wants to buy it but don't know if we can manage the payment right now. And our stocks (along with everyone's) are in the toilet so no use selling them. I really miss Trump and his economy!

Speaking of whom (indirectly) did everyone catch Biden's speech to the UN? He started off ok but at the end he lost his way, mumbled confused stuff, and then couldn't figure out how to get off the stage. It wasn't even laughable, just embarrassing and sad. Another person got up on stage, thanked him, and kept talking to cover up but poor Biden sort of wandered around on the wrong side of the stage. I feel really sorry for Jill Biden having to see her husband deteriorate and having to cover for him. I also felt bad for the USA to have our president shown in this sad light. It is no wonder Russia and China are feeling their oats. :( However, a wandering disoriented Biden is better than a cackling Kamila! Or Pelosi! At least for another 2 years if we can hold out.

Got hold of the fence guy our electrician recommended. He is local and actually lives a few houses from us (so a few miles LOL). This guy works for Coca Cola and does fencing on the side so I am hoping we can get our fencing in and can work with him as we extend our fencing. We are meeting on Saturday morning. We are meeting with the NRCS guy on Monday. Maybe we will get an idea of how to fence to start, and what it will cost. Hopefully we can get started on doing the fencing now. :fl

Also got hold of the HVAC guy and have set up to meet with him to discuss tenant's concerns about the HVAC - no heat in winter in back bedrooms, etc. HVAC says unit is new - 2015 - and in good condition so maybe an inexpensive repair or new ductwork for bedrooms. :fl

Might be back sooner than February to get some of the work done. Getting anxious to get stuff done for our move next year. Fencing is major requirement. We can rent a Ditchwitch to put in water lines for the sheep pens with little trouble. Once the tenant is out of the house, we will be able to come back with a truck and flatbed or cargo trailer of supplies, tools, and equipment since we can stay in the house while working. The fridge and stove stay so will only need to bring card table, chairs, blowup mattresses (don't tell DH), TV, VCR, and camp chairs while working on place. Once we are moved in, I will paint the rooms one by one and shampoo carpet in the BRs for now. Redoing floors can wait until we decide what to install. Setting up ranch operation is more important than house at the moment. That is why most ranches/farms have good solid barns and outbuildings while the houses are little and sometimes need paint! LOL