Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe the Prius wheel bearings are sealed? I guess they probably are, I don't think there is anything in the service schedule about greasing them. All I know about the Prius bearings is that they are a PITA to get off due to dissimilar metal issues. No idea if that is the 2004-2009s only or later ones as well.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got an offer on the Washington property 3 hours after the listing came out. Full price but the terms are a no go. Since a developer is offering to purchase, they want to make the sale final WHEN THEY GET THEIR FEASIBILITY STUDY COMPLETED i.e. when they have firm planning permission which could take months and months. The dates they put in the contract to do this extend to next October. They can get any money they put down back f they can't get permission in 6 months. Then they submitted the offer with no cash (check) for good faith money but a Promissory Note! We refused this offer since it won't work for a 1031 exchange. And in fact ties us up from acting on any other offer for a year! So no need to make a rush visit to any state yet.

Our broker did call me and say that he had told them they would need to readjust the offer. However, no second written offer setting forth the new terms he told me verbally has come through I told him to send in another written offer for us to look t over. Their offer expires tonight and I am too busy with weddings to deal with it anyway.

As to future weddings, DD2 is the last child to marry off on December 12, 2020! :weee DS1 doesn't want to marry, having designated himself the "favorite uncle". We already gave him and his brothers what we spent on DD1's wedding several years ago. DS2 is paying for his own wedding himself. However as with any wedding there are a lot of little things and large things that need to be addressed so . . . . It is a headache with the seating plans and lower allowable numbers due to Covid. DS1 and FDIL said just let everyone sit where ever they want but any good hostess knows that will not work! You have to allocate seating to put people together who will be compatible. We have 60 people okayed by the restaurant for the patio reception then people kept RSVPing at the last moment and FDIL kept accepting them so the number was up to 64. 2 people cancelled so down to 62. I was able to seat everyone (restricted to 6 people/table and 6 tables so since she and DS1 have a "sweetheart table" to themselves we are good. She and DS1 are calling one couple that were not coming to ask them to try to come since they paid for 64 people! Apparently as the wedding grows closer the prospective bride and groom no longer understand the concept of a "LIMIT"! :barnie Now FDIL has been told by the church that we have to cut the number of attendees to 50! 2 people have cancelled, but still at 62 plus photographers, so now we have to ask some people not to attend the church service! I am leaving that up to the bride and groom.

The Filipino wedding traditions are apparently similar to Mexican traditions with "sponsors". She has 6 sponsors. That is NOT a typo, 6 sponsors all of whom must come to the rehearsal. Then there are 3 readers for the mass so again more people for the rehearsal. Not to mention the fact that any persons taking part in the wedding have spouses that will come to the rehearsal dinner. We are having it here at our house outside on the patio. I borrowed two 8' tables from DD1 and we have two as well. We will have 32' of table space with 16 folding chairs, a table with 6 chairs, and patio seating for 20 people. We used to have giant parties so have lots of seating.

We expect around 30 people at the rehearsal since all the siblings will show up whether in the wedding or not. DS2 has 7 siblings/partners and FDIL has 8 siblings/partners. Then there are the 6 sponsors, flower girl, ring bearer, and their parents. - 3 of the children's parents have duties in the wedding so would attend anyway. At this point I lost count. I would give the rehearsal a miss but have to be present to light the Unity candle during the ceremony. I plan to leave immediately afterwards to get home to set out the food and put the tablecloths on the tables. (I don't want to do it too early and have birdie poop on the tables! :oops:)

The bride's parents are bringing a whole roasted pig (Filipino style - it even will have an apple in its mouth!). Her sisters are also bringing a couple deserts and possibly Filipino regional dishes. I am baking a Stouffers meat lasagna and a cheese only lasagna, making a huge green salad, and scalloped potatoes (requested by the bride instead of potato salad). I already made 3 zuchini cakes which are in the freezer, and will cut up melons for a fruit salad on Thursday when I chop the lettuce, green onions and cukes for the salad. I might cut up some tomatoes in a separate bowl for people to add to their salad. FDIL will make rice in the Instapot and the pig comes with different Filipino sauces that will accompany the rice. Got out my chafing dish for the potatoes, but am considering just putting the baking dish on the table instead. Paper goods are all purchased at the dollar store. We will eat outside but all food will be in the house on the kitchen table and counters. Extra coolers are in process of arriving from DD1 and I have to tell DD2 to bring back the 2 folding chairs I loaned her.

:weeeThe rehearsal is at 5pm Friday night. I have a nail appointment at 10:30 am that morning. I am going to get all the salad & fruit chopping done on Thursday. That means I also have to empty both refrigerators and make room for all the food on Thursday am. Friday night will have to package up all leftovers and parcel them out to both families. On Saturday I have a hair and makeup appointment courtesy of FDIL at 9 am. The wedding is at noon after which the wedding party will go away for the afternoon long photo session for the posed bridal pictures that no one will see again in this lifetime. After the church wedding we will load up the flower arrangements to take to the reception. Since there is another wedding 2 hours after ours, with their own floral arrangements, we might as well take ours to the reception to save some money. Then the left over family (not in the actual wedding party) will return to our house to eat rehearsal leftovers and rest(?) before getting ready in our evening attire for the reception. We need to be there early with the flower arrangements. I was going to go early to make sure the mirrors (left from DD1's wedding) are put under the flower arrangements on the tables, but I called the florist who has done all our stuff for 30 years and she said to drop them by the shop and she will take care of it. :D =D Since FDIL's sisters did all the favors and are going early to place them at the tables, I can just give them the name cards, and seating plan. I got coloring books, crayons, and puzzle books for the children instead of the handmade soaps, etc. the adults are getting. FDIL suggested this and it is a good idea. The hope is that these items will keep the children busy and out of everyone's way as they party. :gig I plan to drink heavily during the 2 hour open bar to recover my sanity and do not want any grandchildren bothering me during that time. Since I did the table seating arrangements, my table will be in a galaxy far far away from the children's table. The three tables with their parents are grouped around the children's table as a buffer. :th

At the last moment I had to produce all our photo albums for FDIL because one of her sisters wants to put together a photo memory slide show of the happy couple during their formative years to play during the reception. Now I get to put them all back and rehang a bunch of pictures on the walls. This is rather a last minute thing they decided to do The wedding has been in the planning stages for a YEAR! Why is this happening the last five days before the wedding?!

On Sunday the 11th of the year 2020 I will officially take to my bed. I don't know how long it will take me to recover, but I will be making no food, cleaning no houses, and doing no laundry. No visitors will be allowed. I might have to deliver some lambs, but since they don't talk back I will be available as an ovine midwife.

Now on to DD2's wedding. I went by Hobby Lobby last Friday to look at what was available in wedding stuff since Michaels had nothing. Eureka!!! Their entire wedding section was on HALF PRICE SALE! I called DD2 who came to meet me there and we got the invitations, little bride and groom favor boxes, wedding bubbles (no rice, birdseed or other items are allowed to be tossed at the bride and groom as they leave anymore), thank you notes, "just married" press ons/peel offs for the car, guest book, flower girl head pieces, etc. etc. you name it I got it half price. SCORE!
:weee

Next in the House of Perpetual Nuptials - I made appointments for fittings for the bride and her Maid of Honor for the next day, Saturday. DD2 has decided that she will only have one attendant :celebrateso I set both appointments back to back. DD1 went with us. We had a great time. DD2 put on her shoes - 1" platform, 4" heels, she now barely came up to below my nose and I am not a tall woman. The first dress DD2 tried on was exactly what she had described to the stylist. Off the shoulder, sweetheart neckline, V shaped back, flaring skirt with a waistline that could be raised a bit to hide any incipient baby bulges (non-existent at this time - 16 weeks), and long sleeves. She looked lovely. It was perfect. On sale and decent price - OK we're done here . . . .

We convinced her to try on other styles. Where is the point in having 1 1/2 hours of trying on time with the full attention of the stylist for wedding gowns if you don't utilize all of it? The next was also off shoulder, sweetheart neckline, open back, etc. It looked fantastic BUT was a tightly fitting sheath style. It looked great now, but in 2 months??? With a full 1 hour and 15 minutes of our time left MOH, DD2, DD1, and I went on a search mission through the store to find more styles. One at $1600 :epwas admired then instantly dismissed by me as too expensive. By this time my knee hurt so I tottered back to the chairs by "our" fitting room, sat down and let the 3 of them have fun. Four more styles were triumphantly chosen by the girls and carried tenderly back to the fitting room by the stylist.

Back into the fitting room for the B to B. The next gown was attractive if she were a 40 year old bride. Then DD1's favorite - strapless with a very full skirt of tulle. Cries of distress emanated from the dressing room as DD2 tried to find her way through the ruffles into the gown. Assisted by her Maid of Honor she finally emerged saying she couldn't find her legs. Not surprising. That style, which had looked phenomenal on DD1 with her tiny waist, full hips and bosom, swallowed up tiny DD2. What looked like an animated fluffy wedding gown posed in front of the mirrors. We couldn't find DD2 in all the ruffles although what seemed to be the head and shoulders of a miniature girl might have been poking out of the top of the giant marshmallow. After a good laugh DD2 staggered back into the dressing room. More pathetic cries for help arose as DD2 was again engulfed in layers of tulle. The MOH ran to help. After being assisted out of that gown, the third style was tried on. By now DD2 had decided that she would go with dress number 1 which looked lovely, could be adjusted for any baby bulges and was exactly what she had visualized from the beginning. With just one dress remaining the three of us coaxed her to try on the final selection.

A vision stepped out of the dressing room to a gasp of admiration from all of us! ANGEL TRUMPETS - HEAVENLY MUSIC - CINDERELLA AT THE BALL!!!

:clap :love :ep :celebrate :weee :yesss:

Here was the dress to make the groom drop to his knees, the dress that would make her daddy cry, the dress that had a tear actually forming in my own stern eyes.

Fitted bodice with an Elizabethan waist, layers of tulle were appliqued with delicate lace flowers with just a hint of palest blush pink, pearls, and the selling point, a lace up corset back that would allow expansion for any possible baby bulge! But it was strapless and DD2, who has peculiar illusions about her exquisite face and delicate body structure is convinced that she has "ugly arms" ??? The stylist produced a coupe of wisps of tulle decorated with delicate beading which she attached to the dress forming off the shoulder sleeves reminiscent of Gone With The Wind ball gowns. We all sighed in ecstasy. Recovering slightly from the glimmer of the magical princess standing before me, I beckoned the stylist over to ask the price. Gulp! It was higher than the dress that up to now had been our favorite, but was on sale so it would only set her daddy back a couple of hundred $$ more. DD1 whispered that she had planned to pay for part of the dress for her sister. OK. Several veils were produced and tried on. Two were rejected as being too heavy for the dress. The mention of a modesty veil to cover her face as she groped her way down the aisle was brought up and the stylist produced a shorter veil of the most fragile tulle every woven. Tiny embroidered and beaded fairy like details were on the edges. A vision looked back at us. The veil was so fragile and fine that with the modesty veil over her face DD2 did not appear to be wearing one. The veil was on sale for $79.00, marked down from $200.00. It was perfect for the dress, allowing all the delicate detailing of the gown to show while highlighting rather than detracting from it. A tear did actually leak out - so sue me, I'm her mom.
Although we all knew that this dress was THE ONE, DD2 decided to try on the first dress again. After the vision that we had just seen, the first dress, formerly so beautiful, now looked like a tacky rag.

The veil was purchased, the dress ordered, and a date set for the alterations. There are always alterations needed on every wedding dress. In DD2's case there will have to be slight alterations to the back of the lace up corset panel since she is so short and the dress could not be ordered in a petit size. No wedding dress has ever been made and sold that was not made for a completely different body type than the girl or woman who purchased it. You would think that a size 2 gown would be made for short petite girls but nooooo! Size 2 dresses are designed for 6' tall stick women. The alterations often cost almost as much as the dress (FDIL's dress was on sale very reasonably but the alterations practically doubled the cost). However, I checked out the skirt and since it is a simple satin under gown with layers of tulle on top with no lace edging around the hem, the hemming of the gown should not be too expensive. If it is, I can easily do it myself and save the money. NOTE: when buying a wedding gown (or any gown) that will need shortening make sure that you do NOT buy one with lace edging around the hem. The alteration department charges exorbitantly to remove all that lace to shorten the gown, then to hem it, and to reapply all the lace edging. They also like to delay the alteration appointment until the last possible moment so they can charge you a "Rush" charge.

Actually, just don't have any daughters. Oh, and don't allow your sons to marry any Filipino girls from traditional families since the husband-to-be in Filipino tradition has to pay all costs for the wedding. Reminding his future in-laws that they were now in the good ol' US of A did no good. Luckily, we had given our son his allotted wedding portion some years ago and he has a good income. DS2 is really into his wedding plans and happy to plan and pay for a mega blowout with his Bride-to-Be. They have done it all except for the rehearsal dinner. And remembering DD1's wedding, don't allow your daughters to marry any Chinese men from traditional families either. Chinese weddings invite every imaginable family member to the rehearsal dinner which requires many many specialty courses and foods to ensure good luck. Also the bride has to have at least 2 wedding gowns, a Chinese one and her traditional one which she has to change into and out of during the course of the reception. No bride ever born would pass up the opportunity to buy multiple gowns if allowed. In fact, just don't allow your children to marry anyone.

DH just called. Apparently DS2, aka "The Groom", may have told his brother, aka "The Best Man", that he had to be here Friday evening for a rehearsal with his son, aka "The Ring Bearer", but apparently that small nugget of essential information had not been passed on to DS3's wife, aka "Mother of The Ring Bearer". :he She is not a happy camper. And we now have to set up our 5th wheel trail to bed down their family of 4. I thought they might be going to her folks who live a few miles away, but apparently they will be with us. One more item for my to do list. Because we all know what it means when your man tells you "We" have to get sleeping arrangements ready! :gig

Anyway, I will probably not be back on BYH (the real world) for a while since there are only 3 days left before H*** breaks loose here in the form of the rehearsal dinner and wedding.
:th

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot to say that the brightest spot of the day was that the Maid of Honor had to leave early (DD2 "did not realize" that I had made appointments for them both :he)and wanted to come back for another appointment but we found a dress that she loved and persuaded her to try it on then and there.

It fit like a dream. It looked gorgeous on her and she bought it so she is taken care of. Just the flower girls to go DD1 doesn't know why she should have to buy another flower girl dress for DD2's wedding but the current flower girl dress DGD1 has is white while the one DD2 wants is ivory. I would say nix DGD1 as a flower girl but since the other flower girl just turned 3 and is shy, she needs her cousin to drag her down the aisle during the ceremony.

Oh well, who said life should be easy, especially for mothers. Of Brides. At least DD2 is so sick from her pregnancy she hasn't got the energy to become a Bridezilla like DD1 was. And if I can get her married off in 2 months, she won't have time to turn.

LOL

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
God Bless You, @Ridgetop . I hope that the wedding goes off well, there are no disasters, or fire threats, or earthquakes, or meteors dropping out of the sky on your head. And no lambing complications that day are allowed!!!!!

The best to the bride and groom and I hope that it is the start of long and happy life for them... Get them married, get the next ones married.... then get the HE// out of DODGE !!!!!!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Full price but the terms are a no go.
No, really?? Sounds like they think they are buying property that the seller doesn't really care if it sells or not. Who would accept such terms?

You have to allocate seating to put people together who will be compatible.
Do you have a "dating site" style application they have to fill out?

Now FDIL has been told by the church that we have to cut the number of attendees to 50!
That is a Covid created switch, usually there are more invited to the wedding than the reception due to cost.

And, all I can say is:
BETTER YOU THAN ME!!!!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my. You need a short vacation between weddings. Due to Covid, that will be in your RV in your yard. All you really need is wine and steaks on the grill.

This is going to be a lovely wedding, with all the preparations you have done, it can't be any other way than perfect. Gee I hope the sheep get loose to attend the reception! :D =D

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't crow too loudly, you have daughters! :lol:
True but there is no way I'm going to do all that Ridgetop is doing! My job is to provide an appropriate amount of money. I won't be doing table assignments and the like. And no way I'm paying for the expensive weddings I hear about. Fortunately my girls are fairly practical (knocking on wood they stay that way).

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had a few minutes to spare so got on BYH - actually I was exhausted and my knee hurt so told everyone that I have to do some computer work in order to sit down for a few minutes. It was true since I had to print out the last 5 place cards for the wedding! this afternoon FDIL produced the Bible that her mother is giving her for her wedding. It is slightly smaller than the one I already made the cover for, so now I have to make the cover smaller which means removing the pearl edging, re-stitching the cover, and reapplying the pearl edging.
:barnie
Woke up this morning to a complete electrical blackout. DS1 said he had gotten up during the night and all the power was off before 5 am. DH went up to find out what was wrong and the word was that someone had committed suicide on a power pole. I don't know if that is true, but someone hit a power pole on the boulevard, tore it out and knocked it 60 feet down the road. Doubtful if they survived. Since it was on the uphill straightaway portion of the road not sure how it could have been an accident. Usually accidents take place on the downhill portion of the road after people exit the freeway. They don't realize how fast they are going when they come down the hill. Luckily it did not happen on Friday or Saturday. However DH came back and told us that the DWP had sent for more crews since they had to bring out a pole truck and heavy gang to set the new power pole, then restring all the wires. They got us emergency power by noon. Other parts of the neighborhood had power up much sooner. My grandchildren were disappointed since their computers were back in operation for school by 8 am.

Many weddings are really over the top. FDIL is the first in her family to marry so she and DS2 (who loves a good party) seem to be going all out, Since they are paying for it I don't care. LOL DD2's wedding will not be as expensive as most but will require a little more work since I have to print out the invitations. Thanks to Covid, it will be small. Sadly, everything here in CA is expensive. We are holding expenses down by having an afternoon wedding reception, but DH would be disappointed if his little girl did not have a nice wedding. I won't have to do anything for our granddaughter(s)' weddings except critique the job their mothers do and withhold commiseration when the DGDs turn into Bridezillas. Hee hee hee!

However, I found out today the the groom did NOT tell his brother - the best man - that there was a rehearsal on Friday night. This is what happens when mothers do not run the shooting match! Again, not my problem and we can find someone to stand in for the ring Bearer in the rehearsal. DGS2 will be happy to do it since he wanted the position of Ring Bearer but was passed over in the interests of sharing the positions around the family. LOL

DH and DS1 kicked into high gear today to clear off the entire barn and driveway area. The 3 grandkids came over to help and have been removing stuff, carrying it to various sheds where it belongs, or throwing it out, and weeding out the dead vegetable plants. Right now they are preparing to move a load of toilet paper into the Connex from the 5th wheel. DS1 counted and said there are 236 rolls. To paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara "I will never go without TP again!" DS1 says he is not going to buy any more for me no matter what. :mad:

Patio is set up, all furniture and tables have been scrubbed, seating arranged although no cushions yet - no sense tempting Fate (or Angel), tables in place, and service table for drinks set up. Extra coolers were procured from DD1. My lists have been made of the chores to be done on the days before Friday evening. DH will go to the produce store and pick up the stuff to be chopped for salad. DS1 will go to the grocery store for the pickle relish for the potato salad (which was not on my original list yesterday) and ice. DD1 has cleared out her second fridge for salad storage overflow. 50 lbs. of ice will be obtained by DH or DS1 on Friday morning to chill drinks in troughs of icy water.

When the sheep invade the patio and proceed to lamb in the middle of the guests, the dogs escape from the barn and steal the roast pig off the table, and other assorted mishaps, I have a bottle of tranquilizers or perhaps just additional wine! No wedding would be complete without these last minute horrors - particularly no Ridgetop wedding! DD1's wedding dress got locked into the car on her wedding day. No one had a spare key so someone had to go home in another car (45 minute round trip) for the spare key! We have 2 more tries to get it right. ;)